Heat reclaimer for OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any EFFICIENT burner will have an exhaust temp of less than 400 Degrees F, so I'm not sure you'd get much heat from that contraption!

but isn't OWB kinda infamous for it's inefficiency as compared to an epa wood stove? might work if that is the case.

that aught to get the pot stirred up good.
Ian

I think it would work

But I would need galvanized pipe reaching out at least a foot from the stove pipe. Otherwise my frequent warm weather flue fires might melt the tubing off.
Even a home made jobber of black pipe and street els could gain you quite a bit of lost energy huh? Hum maybe a project for next season.
This is not something that would pose any dangers as there is no way for pressure to build up, is there?
I have a 36 inch section of 8 inch type A mounted to my boiler.My only issues would be the rain cap.. Hum about 30 dollars for pipe and fittings maybe.

just did a material take off.

using 1 inch pipe.
2 1inch male to barbed fittings
9 90 degree elbows
3 street elbows
4 36 inch sections of 1 inch pipe.
2 6 inch nipples for going horizontally away from flue
2 18-32 inch pipes to go back down towards the boiler pump
so basically 4 of the 90s would be used externally to go from over to down to over. does that make any sense?
I have my boiler plumbed into my storage tank using some sort of heavy assed rubber fertilizer hose I get at the local Rural King. I have had it go to steam and it never affected the hose so far.(circ pump failed and boiler was boiling itself dry.)

brainstorming

92119454.jpg
Have to excuse my artwork. paint is about like an etch a sketch only worse.,

Thats not really a bad price considering the price of steel.

So the line coming out of the house goes in one side of the top and the other side returns to the boiler? If it could get me down to loading my stove once a day it would be worth it.

love it

was kicking this around with a friend of mine earlier today, why not, afraid its gonna cool off the exhaust and smoke a little. or at the very worst cause a chimney fire in a four foot chimney. seriously, this is efficiency at its finest the more usable heat the better, dont let anything get away.
:chainsaw: :givebeer:

Seems to me that you could just use threaded steel pipe and make your own, kind of like in the ex-o-sketch pic. Simple steel U tube that drops into the chimney, with 90 degree bends to steel shoulders that rest on top. However, the hard part is insulating the lines to and from the U tube up there in the air.

Seems like you could design a chimney stack that is water cased, and capture the exhaust heat better. Pump water in at the bottom and pull it out at the top. Plumb that into the boiler loop. Of course it might tend to boil and make steam. Maybe make a small steam engine out of it?

Might work. Get the boiler up to temp, automatically turns the pump on when there is steam. But that would require a continuous head of steam, and OWBs as a rule have heating and no heating cycles. Maybe have the steam pump charge a battey intermittently, and that continuously drives the Taco pump?

Latest posts

Back