Heating With Wood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How I Heat With Wood

• Use Wood Heat for Romance --When Available

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prefer Thermostats, Too Lazy, Hate Wood Smoke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Annual ArboristSite Wood Heat Poll
It's that time again: got wood ? Got wood stove(s) or OWB ?
How much do you use, what kind(s) of wood burners ? Firewood species and source(s) ?
And no, , not right now @ 85 F ---winter !!

Last edited:
Chavez7

Chavez7

ArboristSite Lurker
yeah, I'm with TreeCo. Although I don't do the cutting but act as a dump for a local tree co. and also do some occasional scrounging. Perhaps one more category "some or all from scrouging/tree services?"

Griffbm3

Griffbm3

ArboristSite Guru
Put me down for scrounging

Local tree services, and the state firewood permits. Also the shipping blocks for the high towers for the power company (I know the source and they are untreated oak). That's about it here...

Jason

bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
OWB (woodmaster 5500), cut on my own property and manistee nat. forest permit.
Approx. 8 cords to include heating water in the summer months. Everything cut is dead from sassafras to red oak and everything in between poplar, maple, elm.

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I voted "100% Winter Heat from Home Harvested Firewood ".

But the truth is I heat 100% with wood I charge people to remove from their yards.
What about the wood I get from guy's like you that cut other peoples trees but have run out of a use for all that surplus wood they get?
I see many local arborist's saying free fire wood if I pick it up, going to give it a try one day but much prefer to head to the woods to cut it. I did do it once this year as they were taking down a large Manitoba Maple thats what I call em plus the tree guy called em don't really know the real name for the tree. But it was only 200yds from my house so I walked over and asked they told me if I pick up the large pieces it would be great as they cant chip em.
By the way I did bring my 056 with me. Once they saw I had chaps and a helmet I felt like one of the gang.They didn't mind me bucking up my own fire wood plus it saved them the time and I got to use my saw.I heat with wood as much as I can I would say 85% of the time have yet to light the pilot on my furnace

Last edited:
wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
I typically keep the thermostat at 60deg and build a fire when I get home from work. On Friday I'll keep it burning right through Sunday night. I actually tried to get a comfortable fire going this weekend but it's just not cold enough yet. Had the intake choked way down and a window open and it was still close to 80deg in the house. Hopefully things will cool off enough for a good fire in a couple more weeks! :cheers:

saginaw22

saginaw22

ArboristSite Member
I cut at my 40 acres or help a buddy that has 150-200 cords already in
8ft. bolts.

The only time i don't use the wood stove is on vacation....snowmobiling, or spring break.......or from a long night home......out at the bar.

Thats about the only times....not burring wood durring the cool season

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I typically keep the thermostat at 60deg and build a fire when I get home from work. On Friday I'll keep it burning right through Sunday night. I actually tried to get a comfortable fire going this weekend but it's just not cold enough yet. Had the intake choked way down and a window open and it was still close to 80deg in the house. Hopefully things will cool off enough for a good fire in a couple more weeks! :cheers:
That's sounds like what I did the hound walking around panting and me opening windows and it was only -1c outside!

PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Poll wasn't showing when I first posted.

Try to heat 100% with wood, except when we run out or the temp is below the low teens too long. Should have plenty of dry wood for this heating season from a thinning we did a couple of years ago.

We used 160 gallons of oil last heating season. Before burning wood, we would use 3 times that amount.

wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
5-7 cords of mixed hardwoods, scrounged mainly, all the tree guys around here use/sell everything they cut so no dump-it-here-for-free option.

LP gas usage would be aroun 300 gal per month, avg for the 6months of heating time, so that equals alot of $$ for 1800gal total.

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Should also mention I cut all my own wood, wouldn't burn nearly as much if I had to pay for it! I cut mostly Doug Fir in the foot hills of Mt. St. Helen's. :rock:

Last edited:
logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Poll Addendum

Addendum to poll.
Home Harvesting = Free Wood= Scroungingh by any means except wood trespassing ( i.e. STEALING) IF using it for +/- 100% wood heat. I makes the rules on this :rockn: .

Other choices should be: 100% romance with 100% wood heat for the results. This is open to grand interpretation since some of us do both :rock: .

We harvest 6-7 cords of firewood/year from ~ 60 acres of Downeast mixed woodland: poor spruce/fir, some Red Maple, Paper/White Birch, little Black or Green Ash (still can't tell which is which), rare Red Oak. Near 4-5 cords of softwood pulpwood from TSI or blowdowns for my neighbor and compadre vet Keith who still cuts pulp and firewood at 83. He just had a hip replaced, so we got to stop our whining about age and pains.
Like some on the Logging Forum, I buck the trees in winter when they're felled, load the butts in a trailer pulled by a Honda ATV, then pile the butts for later splitting and stacking.
99% wood heat with two stoves, Jotul Oslo non-cat and VC Encore cat. An Empire propane thru-the-wall does 1/2 of the place up to 55F when we leave for odd winter weekends. The other 1/2 is closed off like most New Englanders did in winter. The non-cat BTW uses close to 1/3 more wood than the cat.

CharlieG

CharlieG

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wood Heat-aahhhhhh

Burn wood all heating season in our Hearthstone "Mansfield" model. It's a soapstone stove and has already paid for itself in two heating seasons. The oilman scratched his head during the last delivery- January 1, 2007. Ain't using much oil these days, huh? I think less than 100 gallons. I do use oil heat in our basement playroom and for domestic hot water as a matter of convience. Wife, and probably the neighbors, wouldn't go for the OWB.But the Weil Mclean oil furnace is pretty efficient, thankfully. And just a big plus when the power goes out in a blizzard!

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Everyone loves pics and I had one of some Doug Fir burning las Christmas. We had just removed a ars ugly wood stove from the center of the wall and built this in the corner so some of the detail work wasn't finished yet, window trim, texturing, etc...

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice corner location. Mine is set up the same way, and compliments the room nicely (AKA Makes my wife happy). I like watching it more than the tv!

This is our living room and has no tv but my favorite room in the house during winter. I absolutly loved getting a good fire going in there and playing with the little girl in the pic.

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm just wood scrounger / opportunist with a reputation around town for helping people harvest there firewood for a share of the fuel...LOL.

A couple times a year I supply my saw,dumptruck,splitter and back for a cord or two.

I used about 5 cord last year feeding my 1600M, mostly Ash, Maple and Hedge....

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Burn wood all heating season in our Hearthstone "Mansfield" model. It's a soapstone stove and has already paid for itself in two heating seasons. The oilman scratched his head during the last delivery- January 1, 2007. Ain't using much oil these days, huh? I think less than 100 gallons. I do use oil heat in our basement playroom and for domestic hot water as a matter of convience. Wife, and probably the neighbors, wouldn't go for the OWB.But the Weil Mclean oil furnace is pretty efficient, thankfully. And just a big plus when the power goes out in a blizzard!
That's funny a few years ago someone wiped out a power pole on the icy roads and the power was out for about two hours it was -30c that day when the power came back on you could see all exhaust coming from the chimney's every house except mine it was still 72f in my home.Thanks to wood

Latest posts