Heatmor firebrick upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyR(MI)

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After running my Heatmor for three winters, I decided to add some firebrick to the sides on top of the sand to keep the sides level with the grate. My goal was to make it easier to rake the ashes onto the grate without digging out the sand. As a side benefit, I hope the brick will reflect and retain heat to improve the efficiency a bit. I guess I'll know in a month or so how it works.
brickadded3.jpg

brickadded1.jpg

brickadded2.jpg

Yes, it is a model 200. The firebrick I used were 4.5" wide by 9" long and 2" thick. It takes four on each side. That leaves a 1.5" gap between the new bricks and the existing bricks on the sides. I was originally going to put 1.5" pieces I cut in this gap, but there is a lip at the bottom of the side bricks that wouldn't allow my cut pieces to be set down in the sand. I pulled them back out and filled the gap with ashes.

PICT4733.jpg

I think the sand is just a filler. I mainly rake over the grates and don't worry about the edges very often

This post is from 2008, I was wondering if you could give us an update ? how did it work ? any problems ?? benefits ?? Thanks

Back