hello all......... i is new so be gentle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabre10

Reaction score
hi.............only just found this, this site is great!!
looked at a very mature cedar of lebanon yesterday........client worried about its health although doesnt want to lose his prize specimen tree...... there is excessive sap production which appears to be bleeding from 3 different places on the lower half of the trunk.........however no visible damage anywhere around bleed points.
the tree has been losing sap for 3 yrs altho worsr now..........

lowest large lateral branch going yellow............

evidence of decay around base with hollow sound on one side at base............

this is a big tree and its within house squishing distance of this guys property..................

personally i think the tree is a hazard purely down to the state of the trees base however I have not seen sap bleeding like this before and would appreciate any input as to why you think this might be happening.........

on the plus side...........if i get the job there is so much sap i wont need a rope and harness...... i can climb this one in a kind of spiderman stylee..............

thanks for your help............ ian

Yeah

Just the other day we were working on a gum and the same thing ...

lots of sap coming out and no sign where from, we took old bark off and had bit of a dig around, hust sap, weird!

I reckon there's small holes or even cracks thru to the floem, perhaps the trunk was knocked etc, anyway, the one we were working on was a save job and I couldn't disect it!

Other than that the tree was relatively vigorous, no decay, no cavities etc etc ... and sap is a healthy sign.

Maybe Treeseer will drop in on this thread and offer some words of wisdom. :)

haha, spiderman styles.

If the tree has even been brused, sap can flow out. Does pine pitch canker affect cedar? Although sounds like possable advanced armillaria rot rot infection

Latest posts

Back