Hello Everybody

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HitchC&L

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, just introducing myself, my name is Drew, Im 21, and Im from the small state of Vermont. Im an Engineering and Construction Mgt major at Norwich University.

Im not a professional tree guy, I work with the wood that you guys cut down, custom cabinets and millwork for my fathers company, but I also love to work outside, and run a small carpentry & landscaping business on the side for myself, I am hoping to add some tree work in the future.

Ive been using a Stihl 210 for cutting cordwood, and I have started clearing a few acres on our farm to regain the stone walls around the fields, and also putting a tractor trail in to get to where were planning to build a cabin, I decided I needed a bigger saw, and now have a Stihl 460.

Ive learned a lot from just reading various threads on the site. I had a few questions about some of the terminology.

Barberchair? Im figuring this has something to do with a tree splitting open while you are felling it because of its lean? Why is it called this, and what makes it do it?

DBH? What does that stand for?

Thanks everybody for all the great information on this site, you will be seeing alot more of me around here trying to get a better understanding of the trade.

Few pics of the farm

View attachment 116821

View attachment 116822

welcome!

you have to many irons in the fire like me.keeps ya out of trouble.

great saw! you were smart to get model before it meets the chopping block like the 440.

Hi, just introducing myself, my name is Drew, Im 21, and Im from the small state of Vermont. Im an Engineering and Construction Mgt major at Norwich University.

Im not a professional tree guy, I work with the wood that you guys cut down, custom cabinets and millwork for my fathers company, but I also love to work outside, and run a small carpentry & landscaping business on the side for myself, I am hoping to add some tree work in the future.

Ive been using a Stihl 210 for cutting cordwood, and I have started clearing a few acres on our farm to regain the stone walls around the fields, and also putting a tractor trail in to get to where were planning to build a cabin, I decided I needed a bigger saw, and now have a Stihl 460.

Ive learned a lot from just reading various threads on the site. I had a few questions about some of the terminology.

Barberchair? Im figuring this has something to do with a tree splitting open while you are felling it because of its lean? Why is it called this, and what makes it do it?

DBH? What does that stand for?

Thanks everybody for all the great information on this site, you will be seeing alot more of me around here trying to get a better understanding of the trade.

Few pics of the farm

View attachment 116821

View attachment 116822

welcome

Barber chair see below (real dangerous stuff) not sure why its called that maybe it can resemble a barber chair, but what causes it is a leaning or structurally unsound tree with wieght in one direction, as you cut away the supporting wood behind it the remaining wood is not strong enough to support the tree. A straight healthy tree the majority of the weight is centered and flows straight down the stalk. On a leaner the gravitational pull is in the direction of the lean instead of down the stalk, meaning on a steep leaner the dominant amount of force is off to one side of the tree or the other. With this happening especially on soft woods its too much force for the tree to support as you cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAf61zz5VU

DBH

Diameter at base height = diameter at chest height

which for my wife isnt as high as it was a few years ago, but thats another topic

Last edited:
you have to many irons in the fire like me.keeps ya out of trouble.

Very true. I cant sit around, I have to keep moving. I figure if I keep myself so busy, I wont have any time to get myself in trouble. The old lady doesnt like it because I always have a list of stuff to do and not enough time to do it, but shes just going to have to get over it.

it might be easier to think of it as a "lazy boy" recliner rather than a barber chair these days. as the head goes down, the feet come up.

p.s. rep for wearing safety gear on the farm.

Last edited:
Back