Hello from The New Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moddoo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I stumbled upon this site while searching for chainsaw info.
I recently purchased my first house, and it's got an old Johnson Energy Systems wood fired forced air furnace. I've also got a wood stove out in the shop (insulated 2 stall garage attached to my regular garage)
When I moved in, I was unsure of my firewood source. I finally found a small local sawmill that sold bundles of slabwood for $50. I picked up a couple, and cut them up with the help of a buddy and his old 025 and really old, but slightly larger Homelite.

A few weeks pass and I realize that I got about a cord of wood, and it's not gonna be enough.

A coworker tells me about some large red oaks that are down on his property, and I can have whatever I need.

It's almost winter, so I go out and buy a 290 (please don't laugh too hard) and get to cutting. It does the job just fine. I go back the next day, and get a second truck full of wood and split and stack it.

Then, I find this site, start reading about modding mufflers, etc.:rock:
So, I drill a couple big holes in the front of the new saw and mod the carb screw. Next day, I can't wait to go get some more wood. Saw is much more fun! thanks guys!

PS. gas furnace has been off for 3 1/2 weeks and will stay that way.:D

Anyway, sorry for all the typing.
here's a few pics to introduce myself.
saw.jpg

Using up some rotten chunks tonight.
fire.jpg

A couple cords stacked in the basement.
wood.jpg

Here's what I'm running.
stove.jpg

door.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Moddoo! Real nice pics of your set up there.:rock: Just a word of warning: This site is will make you buy a lot of chainsaws! LOL! There is a wealth of information on this site and these guys are very willing to help with just about anything. Enjoy.

290's OK...

Nothing wrong with a Stihl 290, or a wood furnace. We have both here ourselves, though I am upgrading to a 361 this week. Major drawback to the 290 is the lack of a decompression button. I also want a onger bar (24"). The 290 starter cord can be hard on the wrist and snap back if you are not watching it or do not have a really f*ing tight grip on it. :D

Go for the wood heat though. Gas, electricity and oil will be going nowhere but up from here on out. So kick... :buttkick:

new guy

hey nice saw and nice fire , keep cutting when you get a chance , and try to stay ahead of the game ;) , even it you have 1 or 2 cords , keep cutting .i know that some places are harder to find wood than others, look for new houses going up, tree trimming work being done , or even farmers clearing fence rows. now that you have went out and bought a new saw you need to get a splitter:D , this is my first year using a outdoor wood furnace (which is great) i try to get out atleast 2-3 times a week even if it`s for a hour or 2 only. i have only used 21 gal of propane this year and that`s because the furnace was runing during while the outdoor furnace was installed. every time i see a construction company knocking trees over , i stop in and ask if i could have the wood,,,,they usually say yes:D
good luk there
and welcome
yea i should look into modding my muffler on my o31

WAIT! Just stop now. Drop the mouse and keyboard and back away slowly. This site is very addicting :cheers: But you'll find it is full of good information although you'll find yourself wanting to buy things you might not need or you'll be trying to build them yourself. :hmm3grin2orange:

But what ever you decide to do WELCOME!

get a new chain

If you feel you are good at using a chain saw and want more speed get a new chain. You went as far as a muff mod so i take it you can handle a saw. Get rid of the safety chain and with will add about a 1/3 less to your cutting time and make keeping the chain sharper longer. Enjoy your new toy and welcome to the site.

Thanks Guys,
After 2 days on this site, I almost sold my 290 for a 360, B/C you guys are so cool with your pro saws!

I realize my saw is a "homeowner" saw, but hey I'm a homeowner!
I will probably get a used pro saw next summer and mod it:greenchainsaw:

-Chain,
That is something I was unsure of. I told the guy that I bought the saw from, that I wanted an extra chain. I asked him if a different style would help performance, etc. He said "unless you're cuttin ice or frozen wood, I would suggest the same as stock. I don't recommend the yellow chains at all"

So, what's a good chain for a newb with a 290? I feel fairly confident with the saw.
I'm feeling like I should get the 20" setup, but unsure of which brand to get. The stihl stuff is $$$. But may be worth it.

I should ask a few ?s in the saw area. I've alredy been searching like crazy.

:cheers:

Welcome to the site, Moddoo. this site has left me drooling for a bigger better saw than my 290. What if you end up with a saw driven by a V-8 engine like one member here? He apparently turned a Buick into a chainsaw. Heheh. Search for "Predator". Totally amazing.

new guy

i tried using the serch at the top of the page , but it`s not working ?? what`s up with that :confused:
i just gotta hear about the v-8 saw,,u think he named the saw JAWS
:greenchainsaw:

Welcome

Welcome to AS. When I got here I had only a 029.How I have to 920's and looking to get a 2171.:rockn: :rockn: :rockn: :rock:

Welcome aboard! This is a great place but as others have said it can lead to other purchases. Your 290 is fine and will serve you well, I am sure you will get talked into a MS361 or 441 like me at some point but just go with it, don't try and fight it. The money you save on propane or oil will be substantial, getting some good exercise, staying out of trouble, your wife will be proud of you (until you buy too many saws) it is a win-win all the way around. Have fun and be safe.

Latest posts

Back