Helmet cam.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video.
The safety police will be along here shortly though to hand out opinion citations for using that top-handle saw[that was designed to be used one handed] with only one hand.

The cut at 0:53 does look a bit scary though.

Nice video.
The safety police will be along here shortly though to hand out opinion citations for using that top-handle saw[that was designed to be used one handed] with only one hand.

The cut at 0:53 does look a bit scary though.

What? Are you saying that he had 2 hands on the saw and shouldn't of

Thanks for the video! That's a super nice helmet cam too.

No, that's not what I was saying.
What I was saying was the safety police will say ''he should have used two hands''

He did it the way most ,including myself do it. Cut -n-toss, repeat,repeat,repeat.

Ok! it makes more sense when you are not reading it at 4:30 in the morning

No, that's not what I was saying.
What I was saying was the safety police will say ''he should have used two hands''

He did it the way most ,including myself do it. Cut -n-toss, repeat,repeat,repeat.

You just became the safety po-po by default!
Sweet video thanks for posting.

Homemade helmet mount?

Aerial Arborist, that's quite an innovation with the pocket cam. How do you know when it's on or off, or do you just let er run all the way through the job then edit later? Wireless remote? I've got some video I shot with a Kodak handy cam. I mounted it to a hardhat by cutting a small hole in the brim and connecting the camera with a 1/4 inch thumb screw. All (MOST) digital cameras have the 1/4 inch thread in the bottom. Is the video of the top drop on the pine uploaded yet?

Aerial Arborist, that's quite an innovation with the pocket cam. How do you know when it's on or off, or do you just let er run all the way through the job then edit later? Wireless remote? I've got some video I shot with a Kodak handy cam. I mounted it to a hardhat by cutting a small hole in the brim and connecting the camera with a 1/4 inch thumb screw. All (MOST) digital cameras have the 1/4 inch thread in the bottom. Is the video of the top drop on the pine uploaded yet?

Well knowing that it's running is a problem. I stopped right before I topped the Pine to make sure it was recording and of course shut it off instead. To bad, 'cause it was an awesome drop right into the small landing area inside the hedges. The rest of it went into the LZ too in 5' sections, and I missed it all!.

I mounted it just as you did with a small hole in the brim of my hard hat (Peltor) but I added a small strip of velcro to keep it from moving around on me. The second video I posted was my first attempt at using it and I had it on a very expensive ($150) specialized adjustable arm that held it out to the side (you can see it in the shadow on the ground when I started) after looking at it I saw that it was small enough to go right on the brim of the Peltor helmet and I didn't need the $150 attachment at all.

I'll see if I cam add a photo of the setup later.

Last edited:
Turn on camera, remove lens cap...

Too bad you missed the grand finale on the big pine drop. When I used the Kodak on a hardhart, I'd take it off and look at the camera before key shots, just to make sure the camera was running. A wireless remote is nice, but adds a lot to the cost of a helmet system, as does fancy mounting hardware. But you still have to turn the camera on: My "Another Pine Tree" video further down in this forum would have been much more interesting if I'd turned on the helmet cam before sending the climber up. Keep up the good work. You didn't get the shot, but you did get that pine down into a tight spot. I can only imagine what it looked like.

Looked small from where I was ...

... I can only imagine what it looked like.

Well it filled that yard. If you listen to the video I tell the guys on the rope (not regular crew) to "Try to Pull it into the truck" which was my way of getting a good pull out of them in the direction I wanted them to pull.

Latest posts

Back