Helmet Rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've had too many helmets break down over the years: "official" Husky and Stihl, and the variety of Peltor suspension systems. We have to clean up thick blowdowns or work trails or property lines where the branches or trunks are all over the place knocking into the helmet just walking or moving around to cut. Face mask gets knocked off the supports, ear pieces get moved, then the tiny tits holding them to the helmet get broken---much worse in winter when the plastic is brittle.:chainsawguy:
So, has anyone found a helmet system that is at least stronger than the newer Peltor fragile support systems on their helmets ? Yes, yes, I know you PNW people don't need PPE :bowdown: . This is for us lower beings back East and other climes. :blob2: .

You might want to try a climbing/mountaineering helmet from Petzel. They can be found at many retail outdoor/climbing stores and a few online forestry suppliers.

Graham

I'll second that,there are some models that offer hearing and face protection attatchments.I've had my Petzl helmet for about four years,it hardly has a scratch on it and I wear it everyday.

I've had too many helmets break down over the years: "official" Husky and Stihl, and the variety of Peltor suspension systems. We have to clean up thick blowdowns or work trails or property lines where the branches or trunks are all over the place knocking into the helmet just walking or moving around to cut. Face mask gets knocked off the supports, ear pieces get moved, then the tiny tits holding them to the helmet get broken---much worse in winter when the plastic is brittle.:chainsawguy:
So, has anyone found a helmet system that is at least stronger than the newer Peltor fragile support systems on their helmets ? Yes, yes, I know you PNW people don't need PPE :bowdown: . This is for us lower beings back East and other climes. :blob2: .

strange, i've never had a husky hard hat become brittle in winter, and we have some -35c or so in winters over here...

I'm sure the hard hats that Bailey's sell will go the mile.For that matter just get a regular old construction type "brain buucket" ,turn it around backwards,and use a face shield that adapts to it.

I don't know about these "official" type helmet gizmos because I'm not a fashion minded woodcutter but I've never had a hardhat fail me yet after 4 plus decades.

It's the Peltor Support "System"

The hats hold up well. It's the "system" and springs holding the face shield and the ear muffs. Repeat: cutting in thick blowdowns with branches all over, and hitting the helmet "system" just walking and cutting, the shield gets pulled off, the ear muffs move, then the systems holding them breaks and fails.
So: is there another face shield and muff company other than Peltor that makes something more durable . The helmet itself is fine.
Besides, Finland is Arctic, above the tree line. There are no trees. No ?:blob2:

The hats hold up well. It's the "system" and springs holding the face shield and the ear muffs. Repeat: cutting in thick blowdowns with branches all over, and hitting the helmet "system" just walking and cutting, the shield gets pulled off, the ear muffs move, then the systems holding them breaks and fails.
So: is there another face shield and muff company other than Peltor that makes something more durable . The helmet itself is fine.
Besides, Finland is Arctic, above the tree line. There are no trees. No ?:blob2:

actually there are :biggrinbounce2: plenty of em, just tad smaller than yours... But IMO the husky's shield/muff thing is better than peltors and afterall, you're not supposed to ram throught the trees and brush like a ??????? rhino, thats why you have the saw :laugh:

Rhinos

actually there are :biggrinbounce2: plenty of em, just tad smaller than yours... But IMO the husky's shield/muff thing is better than peltors and afterall, you're not supposed to ram throught the trees and brush like a ??????? rhino, thats why you have the saw :laugh:

I'm reporting you to the SFTPOCTR*/ASPCA/PETA/EU :biggrinbounce2:

*Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Rhinos

North Cranium Cap

how do you keep any of them from raining on your head? I just can't keep my head dry!

North Saftey makes a full-brim logger's cranium cap with the attachable ear muffs. This might be better. I'm thinking about just getting the full-brim cap becuase there around $10 and then using the around the neck earmuffs.

Just a thought.

Bigbob

I have had little problems with Bilsom systems but actually prefer some of the Peltor renditions-I just hate that they (Peltor)keep changing their design so that parts don't all retrofit. The Tasco helmet sysems are crappy IMO

imo, screw the goofy helmet system newbie junk.
get you a jackson hard hat, hang some string foamy earplugs off the back of it and wear your glasses (sunglasses for me, but you may wear safety if you wish!)
faceshields! nape protectors! ear muffs! whats this profession comming to these days? buncha darn girly men with safety chain saws?

-Ralph

get you a jackson hard hat, hang some string foamy earplugs off the back of it and wear your glasses (sunglasses for me, but you may wear safety if you wish!)
faceshields! nape protectors! ear muffs! whats this profession comming to these days? buncha darn girly men with safety chain saws?

-Ralph

I've thought that many times myself Ralph...Just never had the heart to say it

Ralphie, Ralphie, Ralphie

-Ralph

I think I'm in love:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Well, glasses get smeared with sap and dust, they scratch and blur, you're forever wiping and cleaning them, they also fog up from body heat and sweat, a pita and a waste of time when on your saw all day. They're also a pita to wear with a helmet.

Earplugs on their own soon get grungy and grotty, caked with sweat, grease, debris and earwax, yuk, and their foam structure breaks down and they don't stop much noise after a day or so, strictly a disposable use and throw system.

Earmuffs on their own are not much chop either, they don't cut a huge amount of sound, specially with drilled mufflers. Earplugs AND earmuffs combined are by far the best hearing protection, full stop.

You only got one set of precious eyes in this life, and if you're not using a visor you'd be a complete mug, specially if using the saw above shoulder height. What sort of nutter would risk their own eyesight?? As for helmets, if you've ever been clobbered/king hit on the head with falling branches, rotten tops, pinecones etc.. you'll never NOT wear a proper helmet again..

+1 pgg!!!

Zounds, zap, take that you helmet philistines!!!:sword:

Long live Petzl, visor and muff system!:bowdown:
(oh yeah and shades, sorry 'sunglasses', to keep the glare outta my eyes cause I live in a tropical paradise :cool: )

Ralph I agree

-Ralph
I wear a "SKULL BUCKET" aluminum hard hard and ear plugs ans safety sun glasses and chaps,thats all that is need besides what is between the ears:hmm3grin2orange: too many helmet gizmos and they are going to fail sooner or later KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

just my beer monies worth
cheers mates

Kiwi Word Play

Well, glasses get smeared with sap and dust, they scratch and blur, you're forever wiping and cleaning them, they also fog up from body heat and sweat, a pita and a waste of time when on your saw all day. They're also a pita to wear with a helmet.

Earplugs on their own soon get grungy and grotty, caked with sweat, grease, debris and earwax, yuk, and their foam structure breaks down and they don't stop much noise after a day or so, strictly a disposable use and throw system.

Earmuffs on their own are not much chop either, they don't cut a huge amount of sound, specially with drilled mufflers. Earplugs AND earmuffs combined are by far the best hearing protection, full stop.

You only got one set of precious eyes in this life, and if you're not using a visor you'd be a complete mug, specially if using the saw above shoulder height. What sort of nutter would risk their own eyesight?? As for helmets, if you've ever been clobbered/king hit on the head with falling branches, rotten tops, pinecones etc.. you'll never NOT wear a proper helmet again..
LOvely declaration there Kiwi. If I knew how, I'd do an All-Black Hakka:laugh: . The very thought of all that crap getting into those orifaces :chainsawguy: :sap, dust, sweat. Who woulda thot.
Have you thought about a career in writing ?
...and what the H is "MUG" ? Like "Pommie" ?:hmm3grin2orange:

Anyhow, the whole point I was trying to make is that the Peltor suspension systems in the past 5 years seem to have gotten weaker than the older helmet systems I've used. The springs holding the visor and muffs are weak and break. The tiny baby plastic tits holding the visor to the "system" break off at the slightest infraction, etc... I've used Gorilla Glue, epoxy, duct (duck) tape; anything to hold them on when they fail.
Calling me a Rhino will get you Euros no-where. Too often we have to bash into blowdowns just to get to a safe spot to begin work cutting. We have wind storms, heavy snow that tend to roll trees over and over and over. Then again, we didn't de-nude our woodlands :bang: (beginning of another thread flame).:biggrinbounce2:

Hi there LB, yep, same thing, I've been using a jonsered helmet/visor/ earmuff combo for ages, same niggly problems with broken plastic parts , too tight and miserable to buy spare parts so it's a matter of fixing things with whatever's available, usually screws and bolts strategically placed, he-he. Oh yeah, a mug is a dummy down here:D PS we didn't denude the landscape for nothing, there's still more than enough forest down here that you need a few clearings to stop from going 'bush crazy'.. :cool:

Latest posts

Back