Help...038 bar/sprocket combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Tomkins

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Help....
038av currently 24" on a 7 sprocket. Would I be best to go for a 7 8 or 9 drive sprocket?

What would happen going to say a woodsman pro 28 bar and a danzco 9 (1.85") sprocket (I really want to go to a 'fat' bar, dumping the skinny one (24 stihl OEM bar about 25 years old!!!)

Also the 'box' inside the muffler (cylinder port feeds straight into this, and exhausts into about 10 small holes inthe muffler housing), can this be removed/modified?
Also is there any advantage running say a NGK B9 EV (or any other) plug?

Could I fit a bigger carb (say off a 066) if the exhaust was opened up?

:bowdown:

Help is on the way ha ha

Help....
038av currently 24" on a 7 sprocket. Would I be best to go for a 7 8 or 9 drive sprocket?

What would happen going to say a woodsman pro 28 bar and a danzco 9 (1.85") sprocket (I really want to go to a 'fat' bar, dumping the skinny one (24 stihl OEM bar about 25 years old!!!)

Also the 'box' inside the muffler (cylinder port feeds straight into this, and exhausts into about 10 small holes inthe muffler housing), can this be removed/modified?

Stay with the 7 pin sprocket period if the saw is stock. If you ran a 28" bar even with skip chain and a 9 pin sprocket that saw would be a dog in wood over 10". The box or baffles as I call them can come out it's somewhat of a pain but they can be cut out and I would do it and open up the muffler somewhat. I would just stick with a good plug thats gapped well. You won't be able to feel any gains if all the plugs are in good working order. You could fit a bigger carb now if you liked and I have put an 066 early style carb on one but I wouldn't do it. Theres nothing wrong with the stocker it will still be able to feed plenty of fuel even with the exhaust opened up. Hope that helps.:chainsawguy:

Help is on the way ha ha

Help....

Stay with the 7 pin sprocket period if the saw is stock. If you ran a 28" bar even with skip chain and a 9 pin sprocket that saw would be a dog in wood over 10". The box or baffles as I call them can come out it's somewhat of a pain but they can be cut out and I would do it and open up the muffler somewhat. I would just stick with a good plug thats gapped well. You won't be able to feel any gains if all the plugs are in good working order. You could fit a bigger carb now if you liked and I have put an 066 early style carb on one but I wouldn't do it. Theres nothing wrong with the stocker it will still be able to feed plenty of fuel even with the exhaust opened up. Hope that helps.:chainsawguy:

7-pin is probably your best bet with a 28" bar, but for the cost of an extra rim you can try an 8-pin just for kicks, since the lower-RPM/higher torque of your saw might be able to accomodate the 8-pin with acceptable performance.

9-pin requires a lot more saw than your 038, and also presents the problems of added cost, potential oiling issues (chain entering the bar groove too far along to adequately scoop up the oil and move it along, and an increased liklihood of throwing chains. These aren't problems for play-only saws, but are definitely not advantageous in a work saw.

Just removing the box will have little effect on performance. You need to port the outside of the muffler.. The stock 038 Magnum2 muffer has three ports.

You can pep up an 038 with just a bit of muffler work.If that thing is an AV ,it's only a tad over 60 cc.They work just great keeping the seven tooth rim.

All the 038's are great saws but they aren't and never will be an 066 no matter what you do to them.

Ok, so now I'm bummed....
best I can hope for is a 52mm kit and a 3port mufler?....theres nothing else (like trying a ts suzuki 90cc exhaust)....please help...there must be more power in this case somewhere.....

Last edited:
Back