Help Choose Rockman Premium, Husky Or Stihl Combo Helmet ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Are you sure the Rockman setup has a solid poly face shield? Hard to tell by the picture but if so my thoughts would be to avoid it like the plague. It will get rain on it, sap, wood dust, sweat, get scratched etc etc.
I can't imagine what it would look like with rain AND wood dust. You wouldn't see a thing.

I've run both the Stihl and Husky setups and they are both good. I think the top level Stihl earmuffs are more comfortable than the Husky muffs (not necessarily quieter) but with my fat head I have found the Husky helmet and suspension more comfortable. Not sure what the rules are in the US but in Australia if the helmet's date of manufacture exceeds 2 years it needs to be replaced under OH&S guidelines. This doesn't effect homeowners but does effect guys in forestry or paid employees.

I have the Husky now and love it. I had a Stihl and the helmet broke and after using ZIP ties to repair it the headband adjuster knob broke off. I like how the Husky is a bit simpler in the adjustment, less to break. Fit is good on both, the earmuffs on the Husky seem to fit me better.

I have the Husky with a screen.Can't see how a poly would ever work.Fog up in the winter,scratches from being thrown around, oil impregnated sawdust.First thing I did with the Husky is ditch the earmuffs.I like earplugs.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Deleted the Rockman from the shopping cart and will go with the Husky.
Husqvarna Pro Forest Helmet System | Hard Hats | Helmets & Headgear | www.baileysonline.com

I debated getting the Husky helmet, ended up getting the Oregon. I was very happy with that helmet, the ear muffs were far better and had cut out in the helmet to allow them to sit flush, vented helmet, six point suspension. I waited till it was on sale, got it cheaper than the husky

http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety...ar/Forestry/Oregon-Forestry-Helmet-System.axd

Last edited:
Husky

I tried on the pro Stihl and the pro Husky, liked the Husky better and it was $25 cheaper off Amazon. i do wear a headband with it and would have liked for it to come with a dial headband adjuster, but for $25 i can live with it. I will be removing the Husky decal and replacing it with a Stihl decal though.....:msp_biggrin:

Get the Husky setup they work well and I have not broken mine as long as I have had it.

I have the Husky with the ratchet adjuster and love it! The ratchet makes it easy to snug it up when needed. Overall the helmet feels solid and comfortable. The only complaint is it's not vented so it gets a bit warm this time of year.

Rockman shown sure looks like mesh... don't think its a solid poly piece. I got one a little while back after our son claimed the peltor. Really like the twist adjuster on the back for tightening on the head and the face shield stays in place much better than the peltor. Can't compare it to a orange or cream colored branded helmet, but the Rockman is comfortable and no gripes from here about it.

Dan

Rockman sure looks like mesh to me. Reminds me I need a new visor bracket for mine.

You are correct. It's just finer mesh in the front than the sides. When I first looked at the picture it looked like poly. All this online research is making me see things.

Thanks again to everone for their help

Looking At The Rockman Premium, Husky or Stihl Helmet Combo system . Any preferences ? I was leaning towards the Rockman Premium Lumberjack system which is on sale at Bailey's. Premium Rockman Lumberjack System | Forestry | Helmets & Headgear | www.baileysonline.com
The faceshield on the Rockman premium has a poly front instead of mesh. Is this solid front unbearable in the summer ?

Appreciate the Help,

Thanks

I have the Stihl and Rockman. The Rockman is better; and, it is not poly, it is mesh. I didn't get the Husqy because the tightening strap is not of the ratchet (knob) type. I like being able to turn a knob to tighten and loosen. I would buy the Rockman over the other 2 if it were me. They are also on sale now (from $70 to $50) I think.

If you go Husqy, call and make sure it is the ratchet adjuster. Husqy makes both types. When I called Bailey's, they went and checked the helmet in the box. It was not ratchet so I went with Rockman.

Last edited:
Yup, this thread would have been handy about a week ago when I picked up my Stihl Pro Mark. I'm not likely to be a daily user so i'm looking for a few years out of it. I think I'll grow to love those flippety ear muffs.

With the addition of my helmet I now have all my PPE, boots, chaps, safety glasses.

"Hey buddy, need any help with that tree?"

:blob2:

I have the Husqy setup and love it so far. Just echoing what others have said about the lack of dial adjustor...it's a nuisance...Sometimes my forehead gets sweaty and a bit slipper and that dawgone helmet likes to slip off the ole noggin when I bend over so I need to tighten it down one notch. If you aren't careful about paying attention to what setting it was just on, you'll be fiddling with it for a few minutes. Nothing major...but if I were an EVERYDAY helmet user I'd want the dial adjustment option.

Back