Help determining correctness of Homelite 1050 Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The only thing I know about Homelites is that the old ones are red. I have a guy trying to work a trade with me and it involves what appears to be a pretty nice 1050 Automatic. I was doing a little research on the model and I'm a little suspicious about the stickers/emblems on the starter cover & clutch cover. The shape of the covers looks right, but I can't find any saws or images out there with the style emblems on the saw below. Obviously things like that can change over a model's manufacturing run life, but it draws my curiosity that I can't find anything similar.

Before I consider moving on the trade I wanted to throw these pics out to the pros to see if anyone sees anything of concern regarding changed/modified/AM parts on it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3955[1].JPG
    IMG_3955[1].JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3956[1].JPG
    IMG_3956[1].JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3957[1].JPG
    IMG_3957[1].JPG
    51 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3954[1].JPG
    IMG_3954[1].JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 40
Looks 100% correct for a late (1980's) production Super 1050. That saw will most likely have the fixed h-side Walbro SDC (and a black plastic intake manifold) rather than the Tillotson HL that was on earlier saws in the series. I have a friend who bought one of those new in 1986 or so.

That second Super 1050 is just a bit older than the first one. Differs only in cosmetics. Both should have the same Walbro SDC carb (you can see the blockoff plugs for the unused HL metering screw holes in the carb box casting). Both are new enough to have a UT#/SN sticker on the carb box rather than a MN/SN plate on the FW cover. That original 'star stencil' Homelite bar is cool.

Wasn't done for emissions. Was done to protect the p/c from users tuning the saw too lean and buring it up. Homelite and McCulloch (and others) did this sort of thing years before those late production Super 1050's were built.

For example, many McCulloch SP125's and SP81's had fixed H side carbs. Those are early 1970's saws (while these S-1050's were bult in the mid 1980's).

Fixed/limited/tamper resistant mixture adjustments on modern saws are there to keep us from running the saw from running too rich.:D

I've also found that on these S-1050's (and on fixed H side SP81's), the L side adjustment has a significant effect on the H side tune as well.

Thanks for the explanation, Aaron. So, I'm assuming, to obtain an "optimum" tune vs. a "safe" tune, it's desirable to retrofit an adjustable carb?

To get the most out of the saw, yes a fully adjustable carb would be good. Saw looks good, even the muffler cover is in tact. There aren't really any after market parts for these older saws per say. Might be a pretty good trade deal, at least the 1050 is in very nice shape!

To get the most out of the saw, yes a fully adjustable carb would be good. Saw looks good, even the muffler cover is in tact. There aren't really any after market parts for these older saws per say. Might be a pretty good trade deal, at least the 1050 is in very nice shape!
On the other hand, I'm thinking most saws of this caliber, see very limited use nowadays. Therefore, if it runs as originally intended, that's probably good enough for most folks.

Occassionally, I drag out my 990d & make some noise (and smoke), but I've never cut anything with it...yet. Other than for demonstration purposes, most of these big ol girls lead a life of leisure & relaxation in their golden years.

On the other hand, I'm thinking most saws of this caliber, see very limited use nowadays. Therefore, if it runs as originally intended, that's probably good enough for most folks.

Occassionally, I drag out my 990d & make some noise (and smoke), but I've never cut anything with it...yet. Other than for demonstration purposes, most of these big ol girls lead a life of leisure & relaxation in their golden years.

Mine cut wood whenever I can get a big enough piece. The trick is to bring several and when they run out of fuel, switch to another saw. I like to bring a truck full of old saws... music to the ears!

Mine cut wood whenever I can get a big enough piece. The trick is to bring several and when they run out of fuel, switch to another saw. I like to bring a truck full of old saws... music to the ears!
Sounds like a good time! You must bring a friend (and his truck) to carry the wood, seeing as your's is full of chainsaws! Beer Mugs

They do tend to run a little stronger when they have the Tillotson HL. They still have plenty of power with the SDC however. Don't really see a need to switch this saw over. It's fine as is.

I've got them trained... I bring saws to cut big wood, we all cut the wood and smile. I go home and they split the wood, then bring it to the house or work and I help unload. Having a big saw is advantageous, you've just got to know how to apply it.

I agree with Aaron, no need to change the carb, it will run just fine.

Back