Help for Mac 250 and Stihl 036 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are tons of original bars.

3 McCulloch Chainsaw Bars and A Chain from Mac 250 Saws 18 20 22 | eBay

I have several in storage.

I've got a few 18-25" large Mac mount hardnoses squirreled away (that I'd part with) too. The longer bars (and the RN's) are staying with me however.

The 'roller nose' (actually an Oregon sprocket nose) bar in that ebay listing looks to have a D096 mount as used on Homelite XL series saws (XL-12, SXL-925, etc). The other two in the listing are certainly large Mac mount bars however.

The big P series Pioneer bars will work, a bit narrow at the tail though.

The 550 has one.

McC550002.jpg

There are tons of original bars.

3 McCulloch Chainsaw Bars and A Chain from Mac 250 Saws 18 20 22 | eBay

I have several in storage.

Thanks for the link, the smaller bars available is good to know...but I am looking for a modern conversion bar to cut fire wood with for some friendly competition of old vs new saws. I did buy the Mac clutch drum 7 thooth drive .404" for two new semi-chisel full comp for the bar that I have...

I also picked up a 3/8"pitch 7 tooth drive sprocket & clutch drum ($15) for more possible combinations using a longer "New Bar" and 3/8" pitch 58 gage loop?

I've got a few 18-25" large Mac mount hardnoses squirreled away (that I'd part with) too. The longer bars (and the RN's) are staying with me however.

The 'roller nose' (actually an Oregon sprocket nose) bar in that ebay listing looks to have a D096 mount as used on Homelite XL series saws (XL-12, SXL-925, etc). The other two in the listing are certainly large Mac mount bars however.

I'm too am looking for a longer bar in the 30-34 inch range for larger rounds. I will try it in the 3/8" pitch, 58 gage bars and make the mods for the mount.

The big P series Pioneer bars will work, a bit narrow at the tail though.

The 550 has one.

McC550002.jpg

Pioneer P series is good to know...a bit narrow in the tail? Does it cause a problem for chain slap comming off the drive sprocket?

Thanks for your help guys, the mix and match bone yard is starting to make some sense...I wonder if a 58 gage bar will need a spacer bar on the back side of bar for proper loop alignment to drive sprocket. Both of the replacement 7 tooth drives (.404" 63 gage & 3/8" 58 gage) floats on the spline for bar alignment. My worn sprocket is a solid drive sprocket.

036 pro on the bench

I got this saw cheap with visible scoring through the exhaust port and low compression. I ordered after market parts which came in clean and deburred. This will be a firewood cutting saw and is already sold.

Saw manual was reviewed and helpful, this is my first Stihl rebuild.

View attachment 274018

Found the headbolts loose and one was missing (air leak-yikes!).
It appears that Loc-Tite was not used. All parts removed appear to be orignal parts.

The new cylinder was cross patterned honed with some exhaust port cleaning/smoothing.

The bottom cooling fin needed some cutting to the left of the exhaust port to fit on saw, Mahle cylinder was also hand cut.

The top fin of the Mahle was also cut, I will check clearnce to the plastic cover and trim if needed. New headbolt replacements and secured with medium Loc-Tite.

Hand cut gasket with copper silcone gasket sealent.

View attachment 274186 View attachment 274185

Got the saw put together with a new chain and ran it for 5 minutes on 1-19-2013

Saw ran great with 90 psi before break-in and looking forward to making a vid cutting some wood on Monday 1-21-2013.

I set the carb to run a little rich (better than lean, right?) My goal is to have plenty of lubrication during the break in period till the compression comes up...I always ran my saws a little rich and deal with the smoke and check the plugs for dark brown ash.

I have been sick with a cold and need to get some wood to cut... freaking North Santiam is out of permits til the next storm clean up! Looking forward to closing this thread with a video cutting some wood.

I did fix the Homelite 360, replaced the air intake boot. The Mac 3200 had dried up diaphrams and flap valves.

Let's see, that is five saws repaired and time to sell them all after the vid!

Latest posts

Back