Help from an experienced sawyer!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Out to kill a tree...well, it was mostly dead...this morning. Cabin fever is getting bad.

001-3.jpg

Decided to take the right hand co-dominant. Those two stems were together last fall, today they had separated enough that my bar fit between them for the back cut so they didn't have much time left.

002-1.jpg

Fell it and a good start on brushing it out when a guy stopped. "I moved up here from California and was cutting fire trails there". Discussion of saws, firewod, etc led to me letting him use my saws 'to help out and have some fun'.

I could tell right away that he was an expert.

On the subject of saw operation:

1. Jazz the saw two times before beginning each cut (no matter how small)
2. Leave 1-2" stubs for each branch cut off.
3. Pay no attention to cutting dirt (started with 3 fresh chains (3 saws) - all will need re-sharped)
4. In photo two you can see the bow in the log - he wanted to cut up in the middle so he would have both halfs on the ground (maybe wanted even more dirt to cut?)
5. To cut up a limb that is clear of the ground you cut it off the log first then block it while it is on the ground. (Gee, cutting dirt is fun!)

About saws:

1. "you have to take the side plate off that Husky to adjust the chain" At least he was nice enough to point out to me where the chain adjust screw was. I had to show him where it was on the 310.
2. Didn't know that Stihl was a German saw or that they had a factory in the states.
3. Did not know that the "0" (041, etc) numbers had changed to MS310 (and the like)

I told him to leave the top uncut as I wouldn't have room and didnt' want stuff left for the theives - yep, cut it up while I was working the other end.

I showed him the cut-off guide (16") on the Husky and explained his use. Didn't use it.

I asked him to use my 16" marker stick to gauge his cuts when he got down to the bigger stuff. Didn't use it "I don't like to use a guage". I have half a load of rounds ranging from 12" to 20" now.

"don't like to use..." watever happened to the rediculous notion that when you work for someone you do it 'his way' even if you do think he is a stupid son of a baitch?

Last word as he got in his truck to leave "If I were you, I'd cut that log in half or your cuts will bind. (What? never heard of wedges or bore cut down-upcut?)

I appreciated the help but kept my mouth shut. Almost lost it when he started hitting me up for job. I should have told him that I would hire him to use a saw when he was the last man on earth.

I thought the guy I ran into last year was the topper "I was a professional logger" but thought I was full of it when I asked if his old Homey (don't recall the number) was a 'gear drive' He had never heard of a gear drive saw.

Harry k

Sounds like they sent him packing from the firetrails in California too.

cutting dirt ? ouch !!! you cant burn dirt in a wood stove !

Aren't you glad you didn't agree to pay him just to find out how bad it was going to be ? Good thing he didn't hurt himself too.

Harry, you are much too kind - After 5 minutes of that BS I'da told mr. know-it-all to hit the dusty trail.

Same here Harry. You're lucky he didn't hurt himself and try too hit you up for that! People like that are dangerous. Unskilled yet refuse too take any direction.

Last edited:
You know Harry

I can understand why you have trouble finding firewood.. You live in the middle of nowoodsville.. You cut down the last tree standing for sixteen miles... What will your grand children do for wood?
Don't get me wrong I ain't no tree hugger by any means,But what do these landowners say? "

yeah Cut down that darned old locust tree over by the disk, heck it stands out like a sore thumb out here on the prairie anyhow"
I am just ruffling your feathers.. Have a great day

That was some funny ****..

turnkey, it was great to meet you the other day !! :popcorn:

That would be a plumb fun thing to do.. help a guy from here out. Never let him know you know who he is.. and run em all about knee deep into the dirt then say. "I need to get out of here" and leave without ever introducing yourself.

I think knowing about saw factories and numbers is a little strange to be mad about. Are you pissed you missed your chance to run him off and tell him in person how stupid you thought he was?

I think knowing about saw factories and numbers is a little strange to be mad about. Are you pissed you missed your chance to run him off and tell him in person how stupid you thought he was?

Who said I was mad about it. I found the whole thing hilarious. Anyone who professes to be a 'professional sawyer' and doesn't know about Stihl is lying.

Oddly, he did seem to know how to run a saw. Handled them well, both up and down cuts, etc.

Still scratching my head over the "take the side plate off to adjust the chain tension' thing.

Harry K

Come to think about it, hi experience wasn't as a professional firewood cutter but as a fire trail cutter. The difference in the end result if what he cut might be why he did some of the things as you you seem them. The leaving 1-2 inch stubs, getting in the dirt and not worried about thieves coming along behind you to reap the benefits of your labor.

When you heat with wood you treat it a lot differently than if you are cutting it to get it out of the way.

Come to think about it, hi experience wasn't as a professional firewood cutter but as a fire trail cutter. The difference in the end result if what he cut might be why he did some of the things as you you seem them. The leaving 1-2 inch stubs, getting in the dirt and not worried about thieves coming along behind you to reap the benefits of your labor.

When you heat with wood you treat it a lot differently than if you are cutting it to get it out of the way.

I had the same thoughts along with the equipment (saws) may have been provided by the company thus not caring about cutting dirt.

Harry K

I don't know about that. Cutting dirt will leave you with a pretty useless chain quickly. Kinda hard to keep working then. I love watching other people running saws. In 10 minutes or less of continuous cutting you learn a lot about them. :greenchainsaw::chainsaw:

They might be using carbide chains on firelines, for the price they are supposed to stand up to abrasive conditions better. Regardless , the less dirt they see the longer they will hold up. Not to mention the bars and tips last longer without having grinding compound run through them.

Latest posts

Back