Help! furnace circulation fan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK, here's the background. We are on 100% wood heat, living room is hovering at about 90 degrees right now:clap:

We have an "intake" for the furnace that sucks air from the living room, and runs living room air through the vents in the house(without using propane, only the fan runs). Well, it is supposed to anyway, the air that comes out of the vents in the basement is COLD. Am I missing something? I have to be.:confused:

Any help would be appreciated...

Last edited:
Your air is mixing with cold house air and is probably coming out of the registers at about 65*. You'd be better off moving the air around with a ceiling fan, and warm air just does not like to go down into a basement.

What speed are you operating your blower at? If you operate your blower constant at a low speed, eventually the air should distribute. Like said before though, the air will be cool due to the mixing. I would do ceiling fans, or even try a couple box fans.

Are you drawing the room air from near the ceiling or the floor ? Most returns are near the floor and draw in cold air to the furnace.

Are you drawing the room air from near the ceiling or the floor ? Most returns are near the floor and draw in cold air to the furnace.

the return is at the floor, but ive got the living room at about 90 and am running the ceiling fans pretty good.

It must just mix with enough air to cool it down by the time it gets to the basement, its only going about 8 feet:confused:

It is easier to move cold air. Try placing a fan blowing air into the hotter room. As far as getting heat to go donwstairs, if you figure that out, you could be rich.

I have two 6" ducts for return air and two 8" ducts for warm air that are connected to the existing duct work under my house, all insulated and running about 12' to a wood furnace that is outside in a metal shed. 16 degrees here right now and we have windows open, about 75 in the house and we are not using any propane. A friend of mine warned me that I would have the same problem if I choked out the fan so I must have got it right cause we get warm air out of all the ducts.
Not sure if this helps, but I would look into it.

hot air rises....cold air falls.

you're grabbing the coldest of the air, regardless of the room temp, and trying to heat the rest of the house.

as i see it, if you were to raise the duct drawing the hot air closer to the ceiling, and close off all other cold air returns, (so that it won't cool down the heated air) it should, in theory, work.

also, as stated above, slowing down the blower will also help.

the first problem is cosmetic. how to run any duct work in a room up to the celing without looking ugly.

the second problem is the balancing act of existing heat runs in the rooms so that it heats evenly. remember, furnaces were designed to operate differently than what you want to do.

ceiling fans do work wonders. ours, in the room where the fireplace is, run (slow to medium speed) 24/7/365 and push the warm air into the other rooms. this helps keep the living room from being 90 degress and keeps the furthest master bedroom at about 68 to 72.

Last edited:
Back