Help help help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbow388

Off The Air BEEEEEEEEP
Reaction score
Okay folks. My obsession with chainsaws and cutting firewood has gone to a new level.

My son ran into a great deal at his work and got me a freestanding wood stove that will heat 1800 feet.

It is very similar to this one.

6c06e8fa-1522-462c-8f29-d32086cc6661_300.jpg

I am going to put it on a outside wall. I was thinking about building a passageway out of concrete board to go through the window it will sit in front of. This way I can take it out during the summer (we only have around a 1000 feet). Thoughts please.

Also, since I am new to this I need to know what I need to get to accomplish this in the cheapest and safest way possible.

Can I use single wall pipe to go through a thimble or do you use double wall?

How far should the pipe be from the outside of the house? Does all of the pipe need to be double wall?

Pretty much questions like that.

Thanks a million in advance. I will be giving out super amounts of rep for great answers!!!!

First things I would do is check local codes and check with homeowners insurance company, as I doubt that either will allow going through a window. Could just as easily put a through wall thimble and just unhook. All outside will need to be double wall and rated pipe. Hopefully someone will pop in and help out with more info.

Download the manual. It will give you all the info for clearances.

Single or double wall to a thimble then HT2100 chimney hardware after that. Double wall is more expensive but lasts much longer and is safer.

I say forget the code.

The way I installed mine was,

Double wall stainless steel 6” stove pipe
Then 6” triple wall insulated stainless steel chimney pipe.
Then, stainless steel thimble through the wall, for an outside bracket I removed the inside wall made some SS brackets to bolt to the wall studs cut a slots through the exterior wall slid the brackets through the wall and drilled and bolted the brackets to the studs. replace the inside walls.

I then built a chimney stand and bolted it to the brackets.

For the inside I used cement board with 2” ceramic thimbles for spacers between the cement board and wall, then I used 2 layers of cement board on the floor then tile on top of the board and a stove mat on top of that, I made sure the cement board and tile extended 2 feet in front of the stove because coal will fall out of the stove and keep rolling until it rolls on to the carpet. 2 feet gives you a chance to stop it.

The fire inspector came over to inspect for insurance, said nice job, and checked it off, insurance said good stuff.

Neighbor asked, why are you wasting heat with the double wall stove pipe.
I asked how did you run your stove pipe. He said I don’t have one.

Hmmm

It’s your home make it safe, the chimney is just as important as every other part of your fire box. You should be able to do pull-ups from the chimney stand. Be sure to bolt it to the fascia and studs, then run wire making it solid as the wall it’s attached to.

Dont go cheap, buy the best chimney you can.

The way I installed mine was,

Double wall stainless steel 6” stove pipe
Then 6” triple wall insulated stainless steel chimney pipe.
Then, stainless steel thimble through the wall, for an outside bracket I removed the inside wall made some SS brackets to bolt to the wall studs cut a slots through the exterior wall slid the brackets through the wall and drilled and bolted the brackets to the studs. replace the inside walls.

I then built a chimney stand and bolted it to the brackets.

For the inside I used cement board with 2” ceramic thimbles for spacers between the cement board and wall, then I used 2 layers of cement board on the floor then tile on top of the board and a stove mat on top of that, I made sure the cement board and tile extended 2 feet in front of the stove because coal will fall out of the stove and keep rolling until it rolls on to the carpet. 2 feet gives you a chance to stop it.

The fire inspector came over to inspect for insurance, said nice job, and checked it off, insurance said good stuff.

Neighbor asked, why are you wasting heat with the double wall stove pipe.
I asked how did you run your stove pipe. He said I don’t have one.

Hmmm

It’s your home make it safe, the chimney is just as important as every other part of your fire box. You should be able to do pull-ups from the chimney stand. Be sure to bolt it to the fascia and studs, then run wire making it solid as the wall it’s attached to.

Dont go cheap, buy the best chimney you can.

+1.

See signature

This is the way

Okay guys. I finally have it figured out.

Instead of going through the wall (first thought) or building a chimney (second thought) I have made my final decision!

The most efficient, cost effective, safest and easiest way to pipe out the new wood stove is through the ceiling.

I will be getting a "through the ceiling" kit from my local home improvement store (where my son works) along with 2 pieces of 36" double wall class A stove pipe.

I can't wait to get this all done and have my first fire. I am also looking forward to the lower electric and gas bills.

There is one thing that I am not looking forward to. The wood that I burn, i will not be able to sell. I guess that gives me a good reason to go and cut some more!!

That's the best way to go. You'll get the best draft going straight up that way as well.

you can still take it out in the summer but I think you'll find you get used to it being there and the effort of taking it out will be more than the space it'd save you.

Enjoy your new setup and post pics when you're done!

I agree going through the ceiling with the ceiling kit is the best and cheapest way. When I bought my first house in 92 all it had was electric baseboard heat and our first bill in November was over $300.00. I promptly looked through the classifieds and found an older stove and 15' of double wall pipe for $275.00. I built a brick surround in the corner and put flagstone on the floor and I was in business. I took out every baseboard heater except for the tiny bathroom and my house was warmer and I became addicted to wood heat.

Used to

When I first bought my house 19 years ago i heated solely with propane. Finally in my area it got too expensive and the company that I bought from went big time and no longer let you make payments.

I then went to infrared heaters. Heats pretty good but still pretty expensive.

I am stoked:hmm3grin2orange: about the wood stove. I am sure it will heat my 1200 feet pretty darn easy. I also not only have wood (3 cords) but I have woods to cut from if needed.

First things I would do is check local codes and check with homeowners insurance company

+1

Check with your Home Owner's Insurance Company first. Most insurance companies will not cover a claim arising from damage due to a woodstove unless they have one of their inspectors sign off on the installation or in my case 20+ years ago I had to get and forward a letter of approval by either the local building inspector or Town Fire Marshall stating they had inspected the installation and that it met all appropriate codes.

It's pretty hard to hide fire damage from a woodstove and although they provide great inexpensive heat, covering the cost of replacement or repair damage they can cause to your home without the insurance company backing you, is a nut way to big for most to crack.

The inspection should also be done for your own piece of mind knowing your family is safe.

One last thought, upon installation of the stove, if you do not have CO detectors already, buy a couple and put them in.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but that is the reality of the situation whether we like it or not.

Take Care

+1

Check with your Home Owner's Insurance Company first. Most insurance companies will not cover a claim arising from damage due to a woodstove unless they have one of their inspectors sign off on the installation or in my case 20+ years ago I had to get and forward a letter of approval by either the local building inspector or Town Fire Marshall stating they had inspected the installation and that it met all appropriate codes.

It's pretty hard to hide fire damage from a woodstove and although they provide great inexpensive heat, covering the cost of replacement or repair damage they can cause to your home without the insurance company backing you, is a nut way to big for most to crack.

The inspection should also be done for your own piece of mind knowing your family is safe.

One last thought, upon installation of the stove, if you do not have CO detectors already, buy a couple and put them in.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but that is the reality of the situation whether we like it or not.

Take Care

Mr. Swamp

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get the fire marshall out once completed.

On another note. I am not doing this solely by myself. I have a friend that installs them for a living and he will be helping / overseeing the install.

tbow388,

You'll soon enter the process of learning how to fire it clean and efficient.

Visible smoke is bad. Means that poo (tm) is condensing in the pipe, and can threaten your house.

Here's hoping all your wood is seriously dry and will do the job for you.

It's a good idea on installing chimney to keep it simple to clean out, and to plan on doing that a couple of times per year until you get a clear idea of how frequently it needs cleaning as you fire it.

Latest posts

Back