Help! Husqvarna 266SE band brake issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SOLVED!
Turned out to be a faulty repro. Ordered a different one from another Eastern gent abroad, (the other was so kind to give me my money back). And it works again!

P.s. I am not a fan of buying repro knock-off, but since spare parts are so scarce. The overall quality (re. The aluminum cast covers really well made )

Let’s see how she works out to be

I know this is a old post but I am in need of replacing my chain brake. As you know they don't make the bands any more so I was hoping to get one of the knock off ones from Amazon or Ebay. I see a lot that say they will fit the 266 but in the fine print they say it will not fit the 266se. So if someone has a link to one that will fit the 266se please let me know. Thanks

I know this is a old post but I am in need of replacing my chain brake. As you know they don't make the bands any more so I was hoping to get one of the knock off ones from Amazon or Ebay. I see a lot that say they will fit the 266 but in the fine print they say it will not fit the 266se. So if someone has a link to one that will fit the 266se please let me know. Thanks
Aftermarket brake bands for the early metal flag clutch covers are not available, at least not that I’m aware of and I’ve looked. There’s two different brake bands for the metal flag covers as well. Best option at this point is find out what band you need and watch eBay closely.

Actually I don't want just the band. I was considering the whole cover, flag assembly. I see them on ebay and Amazon stating they will fit a 266 but some say they will not fit the 266se. I see someone with a 266se got one to fit just wondering which one he got.
Thanks

Actually I don't want just the band. I was considering the whole cover, flag assembly. I see them on ebay and Amazon stating they will fit a 266 but some say they will not fit the 266se. I see someone with a 266se got one to fit just wondering which one he got.
Thanks

They will pretty much all fit- to some degree of anoyance. Cheap aftermarket is cheap aftermarket- quality and fit vary.
If you have an SE and it was built for a metal flagged brake- what muffler do you have?
Early muffler deflectors discharge at the near perfect angle to melt plastic brake flags off.

Aftermarket brake bands for the early metal flag clutch covers are not available, at least not that I’m aware of and I’ve looked. There’s two different brake bands for the metal flag covers as well. Best option at this point is find out what band you need and watch eBay closely.
Yes they are. I got a couple from Ireland a while back…fit fine.
will look for the link.
https://chainsawlawnmower.com/product/brake-band-for-husqvarna-266-501830201unless you mean the pre ‘80 ones with the long threaded point…came on ‘79 2100 and 480s?

They will pretty much all fit- to some degree of anoyance. Cheap aftermarket is cheap aftermarket- quality and fit vary.
If you have an SE and it was built for a metal flagged brake- what muffler do you have?
Early muffler deflectors discharge at the near perfect angle to melt plastic brake flags off.
OK thanks for the info. Looks like mine exhausts out the side.
20231018_084300.jpg20231018_084309.jpg

Bloody good stuff. How long have these been available?
No idea. Got the link from another member doing the same rebuild. He hadn't even tried it before I ordered a couple. Order 2, get free ship and no vat to the US.

Now, if that company would make the pre 1980 ones that would really make my day :p

No idea. Got the link from another member doing the same rebuild. He hadn't even tried it before I ordered a couple. Order 2, get free ship and no vat to the US.

Now, if that company would make the pre 1980 ones that would really make my day :p

Mk awesome 👌 I might grab a couple. I have a broken 1 I welded but it rubs a little and just can't seem to tweek it enough to stop. Was considering making some from a 395 band or something 🤔

Followup on these bands.
I finally got around to playing with the bands I got sometime back. While the "fit" as expected they are about 1/4" too long to grab the clutch drum...oops. Comparing their band with an OE I have…yup, too long.
So, I cut them down, redrilled and reriveted. Work perfectly now.
These "work" for the early 61through 288 series with the metal brake flag. They are not for the early 2100, 480, etc...different style.
I used standard 1/8" pop-rivets, cut to size. Peen until nice and tight and grind any excess for clearance.

I contacted the company with the suggestion. Also asked them about making one of the pre 1980 bands for the 2100, 480, etc.

1000002572.jpg1000002573.jpg1000002574.jpg1000002578.jpg1000002579.jpg1000002580.jpg1000002581.jpg1000002582.jpg1000002583.jpg1000002584.jpg

Latest posts

Back