HELP---I need your opinions on this list of SAWS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyplay

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have done a lot of research and came up with this list:

I will be cutting around 30-40 cords for firewood!

I don't want to get into a big saw over 14lbs I'm a small guy 5'9"..Less weight the better, but I know that some of the lighter saws might be to small.

I am leaning towards the 3/8" chain but maybe .325 could be quicker?
Either 18" or 20" bar, if the saw can handle it..probably 18"

Over 2.8kW and over 3.6 HP
I am also looking closely at the Vibration of the front and rear handle...

Dolmar ps5100s $380 NIB
Husky 359 $430 NIB
John Deere/Efco CS56 $325 NIB
Solo 651-- not 651sp $300 NIB
Dolmar 6400 $460 NIB
Makita 6401 Homedepot NIB $500 or $300 USED rental
Husky 346xp $430 NIB
Stihl ms280 $430 NIB
Stihl 034av Super with stihl case, $225 USED
Cub Cadet/Efco 5720 $300 NIB
Jonsered 2159 $430 NIB

I do have some ideas about them but what do guys think????? Thanks Please respond to: plk193 at Comcast dot net

I don't want to get into a big saw over 14lbs I'm a small guy 5'9"..Less weight the better, but I know that some of the lighter saws might be to small.

Dolmar ps5100s $380 NIB
Husky 359 $430 NIB
Dolmar 6400 $460 NIB
Husky 346xp $430 NIB
Stihl ms280 $430 NIB
Jonsered 2159 $430 NIB

I do have some ideas about them but what do guys think????? Thanks Please respond to: plk193 at Comcast dot net

The Dolmar 510 is nice,

Also my recommendation for doing that amount of work every year, is the Stihl MS361. $589 NIB. Will pull a 24" bar no problem.

And stay with 3/8" chain much nicer to cut with and sharpen......IMO.

reply to BostonBull

First, thanks so much for your quick response! You say Dolmar 510? That is smaller, heavier at 12.1 2.4kW v/s 2.8, and 3.2 v/s 3.8 HP than the
ps5100s...or did you make a mistake, which happens? Have you used a Dolmar and for how long? Don't think I need a 24" bar either, I am small, only 5'9" lol Also, I feel I don't want go above $450...Some are even lower than that!...I know, but $600 is a bit much...lol I didn't think about the MS361 cause of the price but at 12.3 lbs , 3.3kW and 4.4 HP is great! Super power and lightweight!. ....Maybe ebay MS361 NIB for less...I won't buy used on ebay, to chancey...Thanks again for the info, I am looking at the MS361 right now!

Ms 361 is excellent and a husky 372xp will hold up to the demand also
not to downplay your other choices as most of them are good as well.
The extra you pay will be worth it if you plan to use it as much as you
mention and good luck in your choice.

btw I am small 5'8" and that is with boots on
it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog I have used saws with four feet bars forty feet up a tree and was not too stressed!

Last edited:
Go with a Dolmar 7900.:rock:
Now, seriously, you didn't mention if this is going to be a felling saw for 30-40cord or a yard saw just bucking. Lighter IS important if you are running around in the woods with it ALL DAY. Weight becomes less important if you are in the yard bucking. At least for me it does. A 7900 with a 20" bar will bury with little to no bogging in any wood type if properly sharpened. I don't like to fight with a saw to get work done, so It's more power than the minimum necessary for my saws.

Dolmar ps5100s $380 NIB
Husky 359 $430 NIB
Dolmar 6400 $460 NIB
Husky 346xp $430 NIB
Stihl ms280 $430 NIB
Jonsered 2159 $430 NIB

i would recomend a husqvarna 359.it may be more but it will pull a 20 inch bar pretty good.it aint to heavy at that.

Solo

Yea, the Husky359 or Jonsered 2159, looks like good choices..I guess, the same saw? What I do is go out and find wood, on the ground, and cut it up and bring it home and split it..No real tree felling, just hear....and there...very little! I think I still want to stay under $450 etc. and 3/8" chain...which knocks out a lot, leave the Dolmar/Makita 6400,Husky 359, Jonsered 2159, Stihl MS361...I am very close to making a decision.

There is a Solo dealer about 40 min from me, I visited him, he said was getting some demo saws in. Ex: 662 For $210 12.8 lbs,, the 667 for $250..But these are older model (looking saws) They don't make them any more. Have any of you guys used any of these Solo saws?? thanks

How about this Stihl

Also, I check out the Stihl MS361 and 20" retails for $600...Much higher than what I want to spend...$430 for a Husky 359 or Jonsered 2159. They are very similar in specs, weight etc to the Stihl... Maybe the MS310 or MS390...Thay can handle 3/8" chain $420 and $480 retail NIB

opinion Stihl 034av Super with stihl case, $225 USED

There is a guy locally, was at a flea market, had this for sale. Stihl 034av Super with stihl case, $225 USED...The only thing that I could find was the stop switch didn't turn off...I told him I have to look into it, I took his #...
I started researching/googling the saw.

Does it have the anti-vibe like newer saws? Seems like it has good power, 64cc...Any thoughts?

The 310/390 is a decent saw. BUT it isnt a pro level saw. If you are really doing the number of cords a year that you say you are I would suggest a pro saw.

The 034 Super is a great little saw! But it is older and parts may be harder to find.

Why not keep your eyes open in the trading post here on AS for a good used saw from one of the resopected members on here. Then there is no worries about getting a good used saw!

The 359 is a good little saw as well!

Who has the best dealership/suport thats close to you? That should be the biggest factor! If you cant go in and get answers/order parts than dont buy that brand.

If you're cutting that much wood, spring for a good, professional grade, medium duty saw whatever you decide on.

I bucked down almost a whole white oak today, ~50" DBA and 100' tall with just my Stihl 440 and a 200T. That 440 went non-stop through 5 tanks of gas... and 3 sharpenings, without so much as a whimper.

saw

Thanks again for the responses....I have just cut and split and sold over 6 cords, just in the past 2 weeks...Today I cut cord alone using my friends Husky 455! Works and runs great! He got it at Lowes. Some chainsaws dealers have said to me , be careful of the box stores and the Husky's? that they are inferior and cheaper parts? Is that true, have any of you heard that? Or are they just saying that because they are cutting away from their business? So that's what I have been using. 90% Husky and a McCulough, small one that I have, 35cc. Which is only good for small stuff, as you all know. I am gauging what I want based on the 455. I have looked at several chainsaws, Solo dealer shop, Jonsered shop, Dolmar shop , Stihl shop, "ran" a 56 JohnDeere at a dealer but that only takes a .325 chain pitch, so they are out. Been looking on line-catalogs and getting feedback from people like you for months. Yes I now know that Stihl 034 is older. I figure that if I am making the "leap" that I will buy new with a warranty! I like to have brand spankin new, and then keep it that way! I like the Husky, runs real good, I just think that I want to go bigger, same chain 3/8" ,more power, and a little less weight.. Hence, the 359 or Jonsered 2159...Problem is, there isn't really a Hushy shop near me! There is a Jonsered dealer, Stihl and Dolmar near me .. The Jonsered dealer is $100 more for the 2159 than Norwalk, which gives 2 free chains also. So I won't buy it locally, but I can have it serviced if need be. Norwalk seems to be the best price on Huskys and Jnsrd...No one can touch their prices...Keep the feedback coming!

just my 2 cents, but a 455 rancher isn't the best choice for a 30-40 cord a year saw. that amount of wood is going to be hard on equipment, especially being that it's firewood, so it will all be hardwood. Whatever you get, be sure to keep your chains sharp. have fun and be safe. can't go wrong with a big Dolmar though:D
attachment.php

big saw

Yes, I agree, as you might have read, the 455 is a "borrowed saw" that my friend has and that I am using temporarily...I am shopping for a one myself!

Thanks for the insight

The Dolmar 510 is nice,

Also my recommendation for doing that amount of work every year, is the Stihl MS361. $589 NIB. Will pull a 24" bar no problem.

And stay with 3/8" chain much nicer to cut with and sharpen......IMO.

If you substitute the 510 for the 5100S, and the 24" bar on the MS361 for an 18-20", I would agree those are the best options.
The MS361 is the larger one of those, and they aren't really comparable.....

The 6400/6401 has more grunt and power than the 361, but also a lot more weight, same as some more powerful saws like Husky 372xp, Jonsered 2171 and Dolmar7900.

Also be aware that the 359/2159 weight quite a bit more than adverticed, but they are probably good options anyway, if money is tight...

The 346xp doesn't put out the requested power, and is more of a limbing saw, than a dedicated firewood saw - how did it enter the list?.......

Last edited:
For that amount of work, get a 372 Husky, while they're available, or a 7900. or 6401 used and add the 7900 jug.

Or, I'll sell you a well used but perfect running Walkerized 372 that cuts about the same as a bone stock 7900. Prolly the best deal of 'em all. I take care of my saws, so reckon it would serve you well for a few years before needing work. It has mostly been run with Mobil racing 2T mixed at 36-1 It's yours for$325 plus shipping. I only make this offer as I have two 7900's, and two brand new 372's. It's always run like a top. Only problem is it was lightly crunched by a tree once, and the handle is very slightly off kilter, which means a couple springs are aligned a tad crooked. I'd even supply a picture of it hiding gypologger's nekkidness.....I won it from him on ebay a few years back, but numerous members here have warned me that if I ever posted that picture, they come up here and tan my hide.

Last edited:
response

Yep, tried Baileys, still even they can't compete with Norwalk...Have you heard of Alamia dot c...? They are very close in price to Baileys...

hello

I went to your photo site, didn't have the time and didn'y know where to look for the saws. 509 pictures? I read your info below, I'm not sure what you are offering? 372 or 7900? thanks

For that amount of work, get a 372 Husky, while they're available, or a 7900. or 6401 used and add the 7900 jug.

Or, I'll sell you a well used but perfect running Walkerized 372 that cuts about the same as a bone stock 7900. Prolly the best deal of 'em all. I take care of my saws, so reckon it would serve you well for a few years before needing work. It has mostly been run with Mobil racing 2T mixed at 36-1 It's yours for$325 plus shipping. I only make this offer as I have two 7900's, and two brand new 372's. It's always run like a top. Only problem is it was lightly crunched by a tree once, and the handle is very slightly off kilter, which means a couple springs are aligned a tad crooked. I'd even supply a picture of it hiding gypologger's nekkidness.....I won it from him on ebay a few years back, but numerous members here have warned me that if I ever posted that picture, they come up here and tan my hide.

The specs and size , weight of it, and speed...Very comparable to the Dolmar 5100s....thanks for insights...I came across Shindaiwa...would they be good for firewood cutting? So 359 and 2159 weigh more? How much more? A pound +??? Thanks

If you substitute the 510 for the 5100S, and the 24" bar on the MS361 for an 18-20", I would agree those are the best options.
The MS361 is the larger one of those, and they aren't really comparable.....

The 6400/6401 has more grunt and power than the 361, but also a lot more weight, same as some more powerful saws like Husky 372xp, Jonsered 2171 and Dolmar7900.

Also be aware that the 359/2159 weight quite a bit more than adverticed, but they are probably good options anyway, if money is tight...

The 346xp doesn't put out the requested power, and is more of a limbing saw, than a dedicated firewood saw - how did it enter the list?.......

Back