Help identify what's wrong with this walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuldup

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This Black Walnut tree looses its leaves well before the others. It also has some moss on branches whereas the others do not. Can anyone see what might be the cause and identify an action I can take to heal it? I don't mind taking it down, but the yard is getting a bit bare so if it can be saved that is the preference. Only noticeable thing to me, a layperson, is the damaged bark at the trunk. We bought the property last year, so I don't know the history. Western PA area. Thanks!

IMG_20230929_092421824.jpg
IMG_20230929_092441396.jpg
IMG_20230929_092448103.jpg

Early leaf drop this time of year is most likely due to walnut anthracnose.
I looked into this a bit and I do believe it is what we are dealing with. The leaves and fruits look just like the photos here. Would it be worth applying a fungicide in spring? Or is leaving it up risking spread to our remaining walnuts? I understand they are highly valuable. ;)

Edit to add: @Raintree I have seen you comment on other posts with good insight. Thank you for sharing your expertise with us dummies!

This is the moss like substance that covers most of the upper portions of the older branches. This one fell off today, totally dead section.

IMG_20231002_163528808_HDR.jpg

Lichens and moss are not generally considered parasitic upon a tree. I'd say that the presence of them on your dead branches is just evidence of a favorable environment for that particular group of plant symbiotes.

They are not going to be hurting your tree.

Latest posts

Back