Help Jonsered 2150 Not Starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliek1204

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Jonsered 2150 that just stopped working midway thru a cut. Looks like it has spark (new plug) and gas. I did the basic tests from the service manual. I have an automotive compression tester is there a way to test the compression? Any other ideas or tests? We are working on my sons BSA eagle project so any help would be apperciated.....

Check the basics first, fuel filter and air filter. You can check the compression easily by screwing the tester hose into the spark plug hole and pulling the recoil started a half dozen times or so. Should be at least 150psi to run right. Sometimes a vent problem with the tank will give you that symptom. If you open the fuel cap and hear a sucking sound that's a vacuum problem.

Thanks. Did the compression test. Only 60 psi. Going to check the condition of piston/ring via the exhaust to see if it is scored. Or do i need need to really pull the cylinder to check it? Saw is about 10 years old is it worth it to fix it ? If so is there a kit? Thanks again :(

Just pull the muffler and check for scoring. There are kits but I'd find out why it's scored, if it is?

Well from the exhaust i can see piston has scored. any suggestions would be appreciated.. if it is worth it can i get a rebuild kit someplace ? thx again

What he said^^^

If you know the fuel /oil was right, then you must have an air leak somewhere. Was the saw running high rpms before it died? As for rebuild value- a new equivalent saw is in the $400 range, if you can do the rebuild at parts cost, and the saw is otherwise good, I'd do it.

thanks. fuel/oil mix was good. Yes the saw was running high rpms. Is it still possible to check for an air leak ?

Latest posts

Back