help making legs for milk stool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than saplings, which will tend to flex, you might try splitting out some sections -longer than needed [easier to hold], and shave them down with a drawknife. Use a rasp to final shape/size the tenons.
Note: Tho the bench can be somewhat green, the leg stock wants to be fairly dry [read: seasoned] before fitting and wedging.

This may help.
http://www2.mcdaniel.edu/Chemistry/WOOD/logbench.htm
You can also cut tenons with a hole saw (ID of the saw will be your mortise hole),use a Japanese pull saw to cut the outsides off.
or
Use a table belt sander,drill a 1.5 hole in a scrap 2x4 keep spinning until it fits.
A Forsner bit cuts a cleaner hole than a paddle bit,for your seat.(both will work)
or
Ship them to me both ways i will cut you shouldered tenons with my tenon cutters 1.5 or 2 inch.(free).1.5 inch should work fine on something small.
(I can cut 4 tenon legs in under 3 minutes)
If you are going through the seat, slice your tenon with a bow saw glue the (OD -ID),GLUE the wedge tap it in,cut it off.
or
You can 3/8 dowel the tenon @ a 45 not going though the seat.(hardwood)
Is the wood seasoned?/is your wood going to check.(crack)
A mixture of candle ends or wax and paint thinner on the ends.(it takes a few days to mush)
If you make it properly it will take about 3 x longer than you thought.(to make)
BUT if not left outdoors it should outlast your great grand children.(if cared for)
Mark
P.S. Let me know if you have anymore ??
hope i helped ya!

Last edited:
milk stool

This may help.
http://www2.mcdaniel.edu/Chemistry/WOOD/logbench.htm
You can also cut tenons with a hole saw (ID of the saw will be your mortise hole),use a Japanese pull saw to cut the outsides off.
or
Use a table belt sander,drill a 1.5 hole in a scrap 2x4 keep spinning until it fits.
A Forsner bit cuts a cleaner hole than a paddle bit,for your seat.(both will work)
or
Ship them to me both ways i will cut you shouldered tenons with my tenon cutters 1.5 or 2 inch.(free).1.5 inch should work fine on something small.
(I can cut 4 tenon legs in under 3 minutes)
If you are going through the seat, slice your tenon with a bow saw glue the (OD -ID),GLUE the wedge tap it in,cut it off.
or
You can 3/8 dowel the tenon @ a 45 not going though the seat.(hardwood)
Is the wood seasoned?/is your wood going to check.(crack)
A mixture of candle ends or wax and paint thinner on the ends.(it takes a few days to mush)
If you make it properly it will take about 3 x longer than you thought.(to make)
BUT if not left outdoors it should outlast your great grand children.(if cared for)
Mark
P.S. Let me know if you have anymore ??
hope i helped ya!
thanks for the help very good info .lone wolf

Latest posts

Back