Help! Maple with Anthracnose Fungus!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhartsock

Reaction score
Hi I live in Dayton OH and a big old maple in the backyard of the house we bought last year is dying. I have researched and am 99% sure that it is the fungus Anthracnose. Already there are a bunch of dead branches (probably 1/4 of tree) and more everyday with leaves falling off. How do I treat this problem?? I want to save the tree! Also, I am in medical school and have an incredibly limited budget to work with and did not anticipate having to tend to something like one of my lovely trees dying off on me. Please suggest budget friendly ways to treat this problem. Thanks soo soo much!

It's prolly verticillium wilt, the most prevalant maple diesease...unless the tree is a platanus, commonly called London plane tree, and sometimes sycamore.

do an internet search on both diseases.....there's no cure for either, but a few things can be done to possibly slow the decline.

Anthracnose is more of a cosmetic problem, even Sycamore anthracnose. We're seeing it on Oaks too, because its been a wet, cool year. That doesn't mean next year will be wet and cool again, and Anthracnose protection has to be done before it shows itself.
Rodger, do you really see a lot of Vert. wilt? I think I've seen it a half dozen times on Maples over the years. When I see a sick Maple, I look down, it's almost always planting depth or root/soil damage.
For the original poster, pictures would help, and what type of maple is it?

Back