Help me, help my wild father find a new saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plan B

Ask to borrow one of his favorite worn out saws.
Bring it back after a rebuild, may take no more than a set of rings and some gaskets.
Looking at his taste in cars I would guess that he will realy apreciate the old workhorse being brought back up to spec.
After that offer to work with him to rebuild the others, a project the two of you both will enjoy and time spent neither of you will ever regret.
If he rebuilt the 312 himself, a saw should be no big project.

yep, sounds like a plan, then buy yourself a 460 an let him run it a little

Welcome Max I am new here myself. I noticed you are from NW Ohio. Maybee you should consider going to the Ohio gtg. You could probably see most of the saws mentioned here in action. I wish I lived closer I'd be there for sure. Just a thought

I'll have to look into this Ohio GTG. I must admit that I have no idea what it is or where it is, I'll have to do some searching. Thank you for the idea, seeing saws in action would be great!

Max

Looking at the pictures of your dad, he looks like a great guy that works hard and knows how to have fun. The other members who've recommended the 372xp are spot-on. The 660 is a little big for just the occasional large round. All the wood in your pictures would be easily handled by the 372. The 441 is a great saw but the 372 just has that fun factor that can't be beat. Other brands, well, they're just not as fun.

You and a lot of others have been saying I should look at the 372. I'm going to start some internet searching today for a good price and then call some local shops Friday or next week. I'd like to keep my $'s local if I can, but if someone (or if I find a good site price) can point me in the proper direction, that'd be great. You guys have been a really big help, I can not thank you enough!!!

Max

Plan B

Ask to borrow one of his favorite worn out saws.
Bring it back after a rebuild, may take no more than a set of rings and some gaskets.
Looking at his taste in cars I would guess that he will realy apreciate the old workhorse being brought back up to spec.
After that offer to work with him to rebuild the others, a project the two of you both will enjoy and time spent neither of you will ever regret.
If he rebuilt the 312 himself, a saw should be no big project.

This is a VERY good idea. He does love his old junk, and as a father and son team (see pics below) we do like hill billy projects... I'm sure when (and if) we were to break the old PM650 down, he'd want to port it and play around a little... Can't leave things alone you know...
---
The 312 rebuild was a fun project for him, last winter we yanked out my old Toyota 4-banger for a rebuild, it was a fun little project...
---
DSC05561.JPG

---
DSC05562.JPG

---
DSC05653.JPG

---
DSC05654.JPG

---
DSC05663.JPG

---
So, yes, maybe I'll get him a rebuild kit for the old saw and still try and swing the new 372... Might as well have both, then I can borrow the new saw... ;)

Thanks for the ideas, you guys are great!

Max

Way to go! What a cool guy your dad, cars, rebuilding engines, chainsaws, firewood and cats. Get him the saw he deserves, can only advise Stihl´s because only worked with them. A 660 would be nice in those logs.

The other guys over here can tell you more about Husky´s, which must be as good as Stihl´s, think about dealers in the area, it´s idiot to buy a Stihl when a Husky dealer is aroud the corner!

Good luck and keep pics coming!

Lex

Looks like you need to get the front end aligned on the wood cart in your 1st pic. lol

LOL! You are correct! I bust my dads balls about it all the time, you'd think that he would build something better... Maybe even with an engine or something...

Max

Way to go! What a cool guy your dad, cars, rebuilding engines, chainsaws, firewood and cats. Get him the saw he deserves, can only advise Stihl´s because only worked with them. A 660 would be nice in those logs.

The other guys over here can tell you more about Husky´s, which must be as good as Stihl´s, think about dealers in the area, it´s idiot to buy a Stihl when a Husky dealer is aroud the corner!

Good luck and keep pics coming!

Lex

Good call, yeah, I'm pretty sure that there is a Husky dealer close to him and about 15 or so miles away from me, so that way who ever is using / running the saw will have their bases covered if they need support or parts or whatever... Thanks again!

Max

I'll have to look into this Ohio GTG. I must admit that I have no idea what it is or where it is, I'll have to do some searching. Thank you for the idea, seeing saws in action would be great!

Max

GTG or Get ToGether- Is a bunch of guys and gals from arborist site that meet where ever for some chainsaw racing , cutting firewood for the needy , milling and learning a few things. Lots of BSing going on too. It's a good place to try out someone else's saw setup and do some comparisons. Most are pretty informal.

GTG or Get ToGether- Is a bunch of guys and gals from arborist site that meet where ever for some chainsaw racing , cutting firewood for the needy , milling and learning a few things. Lots of BSing going on too. It's a good place to try out someone else's saw setup and do some comparisons. Most are pretty informal.

Thank you for the information, I noticed that one is coming up... If I had more time I would try and make it... I'm going to try and get to one in the near future, esp. if I can get my dad up here, I'm sure he would enjoy it as well. Thank you.

Max

Well, I've called 5 local places to inquire about a price on the 372XP with a 28inch bar and most are right about the $800 mark, that is with out tax of course. Online the best price I've seen is $740.00 OTD. Any other places I should check? Thanks in advance guys!

Max

Your dad appears huskier [stronger, too] than I, so he may well be happy and comfy with a heavier saw than I am. I just got a 441, and with the bar and chain and full of gas/oil, it weighs a smidgen over 23 Lb. For me, that's about as high as I wanna go for more than a few cuts, just because the weight thing can tire me a bit and I get a little sloppy [which is unsafe]. I coulda bought the 460, slightly more displacement, $50 more, same weight, but I wanted the antivibe and economy, etc. With that big wood he gets, perhaps the 70 cc saw deal would not be ideal if he's able to operate heavier saws easily. This might require his input even if you have to hide the reason you're discussing it with him....

Your dad appears huskier [stronger, too] than I, so he may well be happy and comfy with a heavier saw than I am. I just got a 441, and with the bar and chain and full of gas/oil, it weighs a smidgen over 23 Lb. For me, that's about as high as I wanna go for more than a few cuts, just because the weight thing can tire me a bit and I get a little sloppy [which is unsafe]. I coulda bought the 460, slightly more displacement, $50 more, same weight, but I wanted the antivibe and economy, etc. With that big wood he gets, perhaps the 70 cc saw deal would not be ideal if he's able to operate heavier saws easily. This might require his input even if you have to hide the reason you're discussing it with him....

Yeah, good call. My father is a pretty stout guy and when we would cut together he would run that 650 all day long and never ##### about being sore or tired. And I do know that with the PM, loaded with bar oil and gas it's one heavy mug. The thing that always sucked with it (the PM) or at least what I didn't like, was that you had to pump the oiler, that is what made me tired... I'm still sort of tore between what saws to get him. I like the 372 and have had a few say they like their 575, but I don't know... This might still be a tough choice for me. I know what my dad needs, I just hope what I pick him will be enough. When the PM get buried in big wood it'll keep chuggin' I just want to make sure that whatever I get, it's got some more power and convenience then his old POS. Hope this doesn't sound all strange to you guys. I've also noticed that the 372XPW might be a good choice... Looks like I'll be researching some more... Thanks for all your input and help fellas! :chainsaw:

Max

Well, I've called 5 local places to inquire about a price on the 372XP with a 28inch bar and most are right about the $800 mark, that is with out tax of course. Online the best price I've seen is $740.00 OTD. Any other places I should check? Thanks in advance guys!

Max

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=FS 756ET&catID=13

Handy as the pair of you are, a Makita DCS6401 with the 7900 pc or bb kit would only be slightly heavier than an 372.

Max- as a professional user who has owned every model mentioned so far in this thread, I can honestly say that the anti-vibe quality offered by the 441 is tops but the 372 isn't that far behind. The noticeable vibration from the 372 is negligible and after running those old saws I'm pretty sure your dad will think the 372 is a Cadillac.

The pictures of your 22RE rebuild are great- I recently traded for an older 22RE Turbo to put in my Tacoma. :)

Last edited:
Back