Help Me ID this weekends HAUL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazelwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been all over the internet looking for a good tree bark reference and could not ID these tree’s myself. I am just starting out in firewood cutting for home heating, and would appreciate someone to school me on what kinds of trees I got this weekend. I live in southern NH.

Most of the wood was cut from fallen trees, which have been down for a while.

I labeled some of the pictures to help identify what round people are referring to.

Green Star ---
Red Star ---
Blue Star ---
White Star ---

My Guess:
Green --- Bur Oak
Red --- White Oak
Blue --- Cottonwood
White --- Bur Oak

View attachment 251431
View attachment 251432
View attachment 251433
View attachment 251434
View attachment 251435

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Red looks like Cherry to me, the others look like Ash but I am less sure. It would be nice to look at splits as well.

This is what I would Guess.
Green - Pignut Hickory
Red - Wild (Black) Cherry
Blue - Hickory
White - Oak (of some kind)

David

Anyone have a guess as to how much wood is there? Pictures suck, sorry.

Yea... +1 on the red being cherry...
White looks like Ash.
Green looks similar to the white to me...
And if you had any Burr Oak in that stack, it would be the blue... It's the only one with deep furrowed bark.

Species by bark can be very misleading... Except maybe in the case of cherry...

I'm 100 percent on the red stars being cherry. The rest, from what I can see, includes ash and possibly elm. All deciduous fer sure. I am not seeing any oak that really jumps out at me! A closeup of the end grain would be the key to ID'ing the oak, regardless of bark.

I would agree, Ash, Cherry and Elm. Looks like you've got close to a chord there. Though it has been down it looks in good shape ( did not see any punk). Try the sniff test on what we believe is cherry. Cut off some fresh shavings from a billet. Should have a nice cherry smell. The elm will be pretty acrid smelling and the ash, well doggon if I can remember. How about nuetral smelling? Lol. all three will burn pretty well. The ash should dry out the quickest as it has little water weight to begin with. Good score I would say!

The first thing I saw when i saw the green was elm. how hard does it split? The bark is to big and grainey to be ash. Is it consideralby heavier than the rest? the cherry will be the lightest rounds and will dry the fastest. If this is elm, it will be very heavy, smell almost like urine and it is a bear to split. It is very stringy and full of water. It will burn good if you can get it to dry out without rotting first. if it splits super easy like the cherry does, then it is most likely ash. edit, after looking at the colored end grain, I think it might be ash.

The red is definately cherry.

The white appears to be ash. but could also be elm too, that the bar has fallen off of. split some of it, if it splits super easy it is ash. if you fight like hell, like the maul bounces, or you get two wedges stuck in it, it is elm.

Last edited:
White ash, Black cherry and American elm.

A few pieces look like Walnut but i think it's a fresh cut Ash thing, at least 1 piece does look like Black walnut though.
The elm colour and slow saw cuts looks a little like Rock elm but might have just been long dead American elm.
If you checked your saw for sharpness when cutting the barkless wood it's Rock, if not it's American.

Split and stack the barkless elm ASAP and it will be in the fireplace in 30 days.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I will try to split some rounds and take better pictures maybe this weekend.

Latest posts

Back