Help me write a letter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The Necedah Wildlife Refuge (WI) is looking for input on their future policy of issuing firewood cutting permits. It seems that the permit requests have doubled in recent years and I suppose that is why they want to put a stop to it.

If you were going to write a letter to the Refuge Manager what would you put in the letter? Help me write a meaningful letter with some ideas and points to cover.

firewood

It depends entirely upon the letter writers point of view and whether they need and burn firewood or whether they are interested in maintaining the wildlife ecosystem there and to continue to have adequate fore4st for the wild life preserve.

A pro firewood letter writer wishes to have access to fire wood at a low cost and has the ability to harvest it with some effort on their part-providing that the preserve can tolerate forest thinning and some erosion with roads leading into the preserve.

A letter to limit firewood harvesting should contain the following:

The issue with clearing in a preserve should be left to a forester in any case to make the final decision as to how much can be safely removed and only safely removed to maintain ground cover and limit erosion.

Anything down should be left alone to rot unless it is blocking an access road and whether the said access road is vital in the scheme of things for the preserve as it is or can be a dangerous log. it also provides habitat.

A tree replanting schedule should be implemented to replace hard wood and soft wood trees taken to maintain the preserve balance and continue to be both a Carbon sink and Oxygen source from the conversion of Carbon Dioxide.

A forest is not forever once mans hand touches it for good or bad.

I don't think someone who is posting in a firewood heating forum would be against cutting wood. Especially since they are asking to right a letter to prevent his cutting priveledges end.

Dear Necedah Wild Life Refuge (or whomever),

Let me first thank you for the priveledge of harvesting wood from such a wonderful and well kept area. My family and I have used this resource to heat our home. Which is why I'm writing this letter to assure you that there are many people like myself that would like to see this resource continue. If there is any information or viewpoint that I may be able to help you address please feel free to contact me. Helping to preserve the ability of future generations to grow and learn in this type of enviroment makes me believe that there are people in higher office who do care to preserve the environment as well as our magnificent lifestyle. I hope to hear from you.

Thanks again,
Mr. Woodcutter
555-1212
address
email address

Dear Mr. Refuge manager,
Please issue me a permit to cut firewood, or.........I'll just cut it down anyway.................YOU HANDYTARD MORON!

Cheers.
Your friend,
Paul :biggrinbounce2:

I don't think someone who is posting in a firewood heating forum would be against cutting wood. Especially since they are asking to right a letter to prevent his cutting priveledges end.

Dear Necedah Wild Life Refuge (or whomever),

Let me first thank you for the priveledge of harvesting wood from such a wonderful and well kept area. My family and I have used this resource to heat our home. Which is why I'm writing this letter to assure you that there are many people like myself that would like to see this resource continue. If there is any information or viewpoint that I may be able to help you address please feel free to contact me. Helping to preserve the ability of future generations to grow and learn in this type of enviroment makes me believe that there are people in higher office who do care to preserve the environment as well as our magnificent lifestyle. I hope to hear from you.

Thanks again,
Mr. Woodcutter
555-1212
address
email address

:agree2:

Try talking to the refuge Forester to understand exactly what change in the firewood permit policy is being proposed.

The refuge has a CCP (and proly an EA/EIS). Read them to find the Plan Policy concerning timber/firewood harvesting.

The date of public notice was November 6. Comments due December 10.
New Policy Jan 2011. Might want to check that these cutoff dates comply with Fed Regs. There has to be a public hearing also.

Also, will the firewood poilcy change impact commercial timber harvest policy.

And, lastly know (find out) ahead of time what the appeal mechanism is.

Back