Help ! Need Stihl 084 crank bearing, dealer says NA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I ordered parts for my Stihl 084 rebuild over a month ago, no parts yet. Dealer says the PTO side crank bearing is no longer a valid part #, as in, I may be SOL.

The dealer didn't seem too sure, though. Gotta love small town Stihl dealers.

Anyway, the PTO bearing is holding up this project. I can scrounge or make substitutes for the other parts, but the PTO bearing is proprietary.

My IPL shows #9523 003 4385, 20 x 47 x 15 mm.

The old bearing is indeed 20 x 47 x 15mm. It had a metal shield on the inner side. I don't care about the shield, just adding that info in case it has something to do with the part #.

One AS member in Oz offered to try to get the 084 parts there and ship them to me, but I'm saving that as a last resort, plus I don't understand why parts would be available in Oz but not in the US ?

I contacted two of the big Stihl parts guys on ebay. One just replied, saying "they are sold as a match set, do not have." Not sure what he means by matched set ?

Can anyone verify whether the 084 PTO side crank bearing is still available from Stihl ?

Can anyone verify that 9523 003 4385 is the correct, current part number ?

Are there any other sources for this proprietary bearing ?

OK, I'll send you a PM, Brad. Thanks for the offer.

Fish, I take your comment to mean it was a valid, available part number as recently as 2008 ?

If Stihl did drop that part, it would be good to know, for anyone considering buying an 084.

But, it's not like I trust my dealer. :dizzy:

Where's Andy when you need him ? :laugh:

it's not good number, stihl guy is right. not good number from Northest Stihl.

my keybord is dying on me, & try typing without the letter before "B"

Hey Man when I get in a bind like you are I go to Allied Bearing or the National Bearing shops in town and they can match up alot of the bearings. It may not be the same number but they have crossed some out for me using the Stihl # and finding a match. Most are Timken bearings and are top notch in my book. Just an idea you could check on.

SKF bearings

If you run out of options on getting propriatary, you might consider this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6204ZZ-6204-Z...em&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5d27e90ed4

I have bought from him and he is good to deal with. The ones I bought were rated about 25,000 RPM as I recall. Not sure about this one. Lakeside had commented, some time ago, about non-propriatary bearings for Stihl not fitting tight enough on the crank due to a large dia champher on the crank. Some non-propriatary may not have a large enough champher to fit tight so protrude into the seal area. Just be aware of this if you want to go this route. Maybe there is a workaround if you rework the bearing a little.

Howdy,
The 9523 003 4385 fits 084's & 088's up to serial number 1 54 603 854. After that it changes to a 9523 003 4386. They both are listed as 20x47x15. It looks like they should be able to sub for one and other but, they don't say it will. I still show it as available but, it would be $57.33 through us. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS+9523+003+4385&catID=

Regards
Gregg

dont know if this is right but the 084 and 880 ipl list the same diamension for the bearing just the part number is different:cheers:
Grande dog beat to it

A lot of the propriety bearings were the ones that the crank seal fit into the bearing shell rather than in the bearing bore. I have not pulled an 084 apart so I can`t say if the seal fits in the bearing or if it fits in the bearing bore. If the seal fits in the bearing bore then a substitute bearing could be used.
Pioneerguy600

it's not good number, stihl guy is right. not good number from Northest Stihl.
Thanks for that info, BloodOnTheIce. Rep headed your way.

Next question is, does Stihl offer a substitute under a different # ? Are 084 owners SOL if they need a PTO side crank bearing ?

Smilin Possum and Jhkaska, it's possible that some bearing company does make these bearings as a generic, but it's not a standard 6404, even though the nominal dimensions are the same. The Stihl bearing differs by having a portion of the outer race turned down. Not sure what that is for, I'll try to figure out the purpose, and post pics later tonight.

The flywheel side bearing is a generic 6203 C3, no problem there.

Howdy,
The 9523 003 4385 fits 084's & 088's up to serial number 1 54 603 854. After that it changes to a 9523 003 4386. They both are listed as 20x47x15. It looks like they should be able to sub for one and other but, they don't say it will. I still show it as available but, it would be $57.33 through us. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS+9523+003+4385&catID=

Regards
Gregg
Thanks Gregg and Pioneer guy. :) I'm hanging drywall at the moment, but will study the assembly tonight and try to figure it out.

OK, the suspense was kiling me, so I stopped hanging drywall long enough to take a look-see at the PTO side bearing and seal assembly.

The PTO side crank bearing has a step machined on the outer race.

I forgot to take a pic of the other side, but this bearing has a shield on the inner side. Apparently Stihl used inner shields at one time, but have since switched to open bearings ? ? ?
attachment.php

The step on the outer race appears to snuggle against this snap ring. The snap ring keeps the bearing from walking out of the case ?
attachment.php

The PTO side seal ......
attachment.php

.......fits inside the bearing, not the bearing housing.
attachment.php

Next question is, what is different about the new 088 bearing that Grande Dog mentioned ?

Could it be that the only difference is the old bearing has an inner shield, and the new 088 bearing doesn't (just guessing, dunno if the new 088 bearing has an inner shield or not) ?

Or is it more complicated than that ?

Did the revised 088's still use a snap ring to keep the bearing from walking out ? Did the revised 088's use the same seal, and did the seal still fit inside the bearing ?

Last edited:
That`s just what I suspected on that bearing, the seal fits inside the bearing shell, also the shoulder on the outside to rest against the snapring. Would be good to know if the 088 bearing will fit and basically be the same. Stihl did use a inner sealed bearing in years past but moved away from them so lets hope the 088 bearing is a replacement.
Pioneerguy600

088 IPL shows one bearing, 2 part #s. 4385 & 4386. You have a lathe,worst case, use the flywheel side and machine a stepped spacer for the seal.

Update: Super3's dealer says the new 088 bearing is a substitute, and ordered one to confirm.

I'm not sure which ebayer Bryce is, but there are no 084 or 088 PTO side crank bearings listed on the 'bay at the moment.

If Lakeside were still around, he'd probably scrounge up a tech memo that explains the difference between the new 088 bearing and the old. I'm hoping the difference is merely the inner shield.

Latest posts

Back