Help need with a MS170

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My dad stumbled onto a pristine MS170 for next to nothing..anybody run one as a limb/brush saw for firewood scrounging?

Now for the bad part..saw looks and runs like new but moves NO oil.

He tried cleaning the tank/filter and blowing low PSI air through the line and passages..no luck.

Any ideas or is it case splitting time?

Thanks , Jeff

I have over a dozen saws and my 170 gets used in the bush the most. Most of my wood is tops so it's not real big stuff and the 170 is nice and light for trimming to get them ready to skid. Cut them into trailer size with it sometimes. I have a couple of buzz saws for the small stuff once it's hauled home. I'm planning on buying another new 170 and selling this one as used. I do this every couple of years when they are on sale $199 for new saw sell the old one for $100, cheap running.

Well you dont have to split the case to get to the oil tank. On the bottom of the saw behind the black handle there is the oil line make sure it is seated in all the way. Try draining the tank and flushing with diesel. My 170 sat for some time before i got it and found that the oil line in the tank would kink. They are cheap if you have to replace it. If you pull the handle off and the starter cover i think you can replace the line and the filter. Also make sure the little green duck bill above the fill cap under the starter cover can open to let air in.

I have over a dozen saws and my 170 gets used in the bush the most. Most of my wood is tops so it's not real big stuff and the 170 is nice and light for trimming to get them ready to skid. Cut them into trailer size with it sometimes. I have a couple of buzz saws for the small stuff once it's hauled home. I'm planning on buying another new 170 and selling this one as used. I do this every couple of years when they are on sale $199 for new saw sell the old one for $100, cheap running.

They got 'em for $189 right now.

199 E here :yoyo:

..and i encounter em pretty often in repairs, theres something in the carb that i DONT like at all....its missing L & H screws, so i dont see em as real saws at all :angry:

Youths has some videos on these saws. One has a guy from Germany I think judging by his tongue. He stripps the whole saw down and makes it look pretty easy. I have the ms180 new for 199$ for firewood and it has served me well.

There's a needle under the sprocket that turns around with the sprocket with a small groove on the sprocket make sure that is all working also. The doesn't have to be running to check the oiler. Take the bar off clean everything up spin the sprocket with compressed air or u could start the engine. Oil will come out of the oiler hole if all is well.

$179 here new

Same price here, and you get oil, a scrench, owner manual and a Stihl screw driver and bunch of other stuff. The guy that I cut with has a MS170 and a MS180. They both are great saws and he uses them to limb smallish sized trees and for clearing brush too. Come standard with a 14" or 16" bar usually. I highly recommend them.

Dad cleaned the tank with diesel and used carb cleaner on the oil port behind the bar.. I guess it uses some type of diaphragm as a pump... didn't know if there was a clean-out port that had a plug in it .. it sounds like there's a air inlet that could possibly be hanging open and not letting the pump do it's thing.

Thanks, Jeff

Try leaving the diesel in the chain oil tank and start the saw or spin the sprocket with air. Maybe the diesel will work the clog loose hopefully.

I run some real thin motor oil thru mine once in awhile when it quits oiling, usually does the trick. Have been known to out 1/2 tank of mixed gas in with the oil when it's stuborn.

HAHAHA! Not paying attention Cantoo ? :hmm3grin2orange:

The funny thing is this saw looks like it hasn't cut more than a wheelbarrow full of wood in it's life and the bar is killed...I'm betting this thing has never oiled.

I think when Stihl went echo-friendly and drastically reduced the volume of oil their saws put out with the tiny cast in restrictor in the passage this one was flawed.

Also.. does anybody know what the Torx bolt with orange plastic cap does that's in a recess between the muffler and the case on the bar side ? It looks like a factory cap that Stihl puts on to keep anybody but dealers from tinkering with it.

It looks strangely in line with where a adjustable oiler would be?

Edit: I also meant to say that I'm relaying these questions from my dad on the phone , I've never actually seen the saw.

Thanks , Jeff

Last edited:
Somebody here emailed my a full parts breakdown and service manual for the MS170! If I can't get this thing oiling with the info I have now I shouldn't be running power equipment.

Thanks , Jeff

Back