Help no spark Homelite XL2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathcom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently picked up an old Homelite XL2 Auto dirt cheap. I was hoping just a good carb cleaning would do the trick but ends up being no spark. There was quite a bit of clumpy sawdust on the part where the ignition module meets the flywheel, but cleaning that off did not help. I also removed the kill switch and still no spark. Is there a way to test wether it is the ignition coil or the point set? I just dont want to end up with a money pit.

Thanks

There are lots of XL2's on eBay with scored cylinders that you could vulture. Also the coils off the Super 2 may also fit, not sure.

I dont think the XL2 has points, but I cant say for sure because I never have taken mine apart

If it has points there will be a wire running from the coil to under the flywheel. If it does in fact have points file / clean / gap them and check for spark again.

According to the manual: http://odref.com/homelite/chainsaw/ut-10569.pdf
it has points, there is a wire from the coil under the flywheel. I was able to remove the flywheel without too much trouble. The point set looked real clean. Im not too familiar with points, but as I turn the flywheel, the "contact points" (if thats what you call them) do meet on every cycle. I'll have to check closer to see if there is any gap or too much gap. They are not supposed to make full contact right? Just enough for a business card to slide through?
Is there a way to check ohms or voltage at the points? This way, if there is juice there, than I know for sure its the coil and if no juice there, its the point set.
I also put my cordless drill with a socket that fits on the flywheel, saves alot of wear on my arm ; )

Breaker Points Operation

Correctly adjusted points will be in full contact with each other for the majority of each crankshaft revolution . The breaker cam lobe opens the points ( no contact ) and disrupts the flow of voltage through the coils primary windings . This collapsing magnetic field induces a voltage into secondary winding of coil that is much greater than that of voltage in primary windings . The higher voltage enables voltage to "jump " gap at spark plug and ignite fuel/air by resulting spark . To test for spark ; remove plug and re-insert it in plug lead (coil wire) . Hold threaded portion of plug hard against saw case or cyl. to ground it . You could use a jumper wire with alligator clips - key is to ground plug threads to saw . Now pull start cord and look carefully at plug gap for spark - it may be faint and best done in slightly dark room to see spark . If no spark check plug lead carefully for worn or cut insulation allowing voltage to short to ground . This would be a good start for you . Good luck .

Im gonna check it with a multimeter over the weekend, I do have a feeling it would be the point set. Is it rare to have faulty ignition coil?

What would the cost be for a new point set?

Im gonna check it with a multimeter over the weekend, I do have a feeling it would be the point set. Is it rare to have faulty ignition coil?

What would the cost be for a new point set?

i have them on my store

http://cmsmallengines.net/breaker-points-p978.html

thanks
calvin

the coil would get its fire from the points if the points are not good the coil will not fire to start the engine

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll be in touch if the test fails.

I came across this great troubleshooting guide, its for an outboard motor but still everything is almost identical to any small engine

Well I'll be Darned

Thanks, I'll be in touch if the test fails.

I came across this great troubleshooting guide, its for an outboard motor but still everything is almost identical to any small engine

That is an excellent link you found and posted . Not to blow my own horn but if you read the 3rd and 4th paragraph on page two it is almost verbatum to what I said in the 5th post . I must have been paying attention that day . Good luck with your trouble-shooting and let us know how you make out .

I finally got some time to play with this. I filed the points down a bit and voila, we got spark. I should have guessed judging by the way the coil contacts looked..... I'll put it all back together after the rain, hopefully I'll be cuttin up whatever I can find

Back