Help on 385XP Carb Adjust Screw Limiter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did spend some time searching, but I didn't find the answer...

I have a new Husqvarna 385XP. I've run several tanks of fuel through and now I would like to tweak the carb settings. I removed the cover to acess the carburetor and the adjusting screws. I was expecting to see the plastic limiter caps, but there did not appear to be any.

My service manual states that the "factory setting" is 1 1/4 turns out for both the High and Low speed jets. When I attempted to adjust the screws, both the H & L will only turn 1/2 revolution. Obviously there is some type of limiting device inside the carb body (screw assembley) that limits the screw.

What is the device that limits the screw and how do I dis-assemble it?

JQ

WOW that looks fun. Never had the misfortune of running into one of those yet. It may be possible to pull off the jet covers with a screw or Husky tool,similiar to those of Stihls. It may also be that you may not be able to adjust it to where you would like much like a 3120 carb with NO high speed jet at all!

I had a 55cc craftsman with a walbro and it had an aluminum "fence" around the screws and the screw heads were a "D" shape but no limiters, is that what yours look like?

I had a 55cc craftsman with a walbro and it had an aluminum "fence" around the screws and the screw heads were a "D" shape but no limiters, is that what yours look like?

These screws simply look like there are not restrictors. It appears that they should function like a "normal" adjustment screw.

I can't figure out why there is only 1/2 turn before something stops the rotation.

If you look closely to the photo, you can see that there appears to be a black or dark grey substance around the screws. It appears that the screw seat is set in some type of epoxy.

I'm still baffled.

JQ

Got it figured out...

I did spend some time searching, but I didn't find the answer...

I have a new Husqvarna 385XP. I've run several tanks of fuel through and now I would like to tweak the carb settings. I removed the cover to acess the carburetor and the adjusting screws. I was expecting to see the plastic limiter caps, but there did not appear to be any.

My service manual states that the "factory setting" is 1 1/4 turns out for both the High and Low speed jets. When I attempted to adjust the screws, both the H & L will only turn 1/2 revolution. Obviously there is some type of limiting device inside the carb body (screw assembley) that limits the screw.

What is the device that limits the screw and how do I dis-assemble it?

JQ

Well, this is a new 385XP and has a Walbro WJ series carb in it. The H/L adjusting screws have a spring-loaded collar that prevents turning in excess of 1/2 turn. The secret is to take a very small (tiny) screwdriver and hold the spring-loaded collar down to adjust the screw. This allows you to re-set the max/min point. It is a little cumbersome to do, but I've got the hang of it. Too bad that its past 10:00 p.m. here in Houston, or I'd be outside tuning the saw.

Does anyone know why Husqvarna changed from the Tilotson carb to the Walbro carb? According to the Walbro website, this is a C.A.R.B. approved carburetor.

JQ

Last edited:
The limiters are in there. I removed everything. All I have is the screws left, the gromet fits right back in place. It is a little more difficult to adjust now though because you have to get your screw driver just right into the grooves.

Good plan...

The limiters are in there. I removed everything. All I have is the screws left, the limiting collar fits right back in place. It is a little more difficult to adjust now though because you have to get your screw driver just right into the grooves.

OK...I removed the screws, limiters & springs. Then I took the limiter "collars" and gently ground down the limiting portions. I still need the collars to hold the springs (keep the screws from working in/out due to vibration). Looks OK. Seems to work OK.

JQ

Last edited:
Back