Help on Poulan Sand Cast ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can probably pin it down but you will have to do some work. I will need details.

Is there a bump out on the bottom of the drive case cover or do the bolts all go in line with each other?

Is it a 2 or 3 ring piston? If a 2 ring, is the bore size 2 1/6" or 2 3/16"? Dose it have a air van governor?

Answer those then we can go from there.

Well it is late and the dog will be upset if I go back out now so it will wait till Sunday

Are you serious? Mark outlined the details above. I was really replying to the others not sure if it was gear or direct drive.
Yes I saw what Mark posted and I will look later. I thought you had more to add. As for if it is a reduction drive well yes the pictures clearly show that. Whether it is chain or gear I will have to check.

I can probably pin it down but you will have to do some work. I will need details.

Is there a bump out on the bottom of the drive case cover or do the bolts all go in line with each other?

Is it a 2 or 3 ring piston? If a 2 ring, is the bore size 2 1/6" or 2 3/16"? Dose it have a air van governor?

Answer those then we can go from there.
Here ya go. The bore is 2 1/16, 2 ring piston, air vane governor, and gear drive. I am not sure on what you mean on bump outs. 1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

See where the idler gear bracket bolts to the case at the bottom? The cover has a bump out in it to clear that.

Your saw could be a Super 68. It was the only one I remember off hand in that series of gear drives with a 2 1/16" two ring piston. The only thing is your clutch has the cover on it like a Super 66 but a Super 66 has a 3 ring piston and what I call the tall cylinder with a iron bore.

On the other hand it could be a Super 66 that someone in the past had put a Super 68 top end and rod on. That would have been a common upgrade

Basically the top end style was the main difference between the two. I have both here.

Both saws would have had the pyramid reed valve in stead of the common flat style.

Your saw has obviously been around the block and has had work done on it before so that makes it hard to make a completely accurate identification.

Latest posts

Back