help: peppercorn tree eaten alive by fungi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in southern australia and house a >150 year old peppercorn tree in my backyard, in desperate need of saving. there is fungi around the base of the tree and different types higher up, the lower parts of the tree appear to be being rotten out creating large holes and there is what looks like spores higher up. the photos may give you a better indication. what can i do???

The good news is the second pic does not show bad fungi. The bad news is the other pics do.

You need an arborist on site to assess risk. I don't know the tree species but it does not look good.

HI Emma,

Your tree could have some serious problems there. I would need to see more of the trees overall structure. A consultation would be the best way to assess what sort of future there is for this tree.
Whereabouts are you?
I'm in the South East suburbs of Melbourne and have a lot of experience working with this species. It's Peppercorn Tree, Shinus molle Treeseer!

Trev
Total Tree Care (Aust) Pty Ltd.
9587 5757.

More about us below.....

the strangest thing

is it just me or is fungi ultra-fast? where there wasnt any when i posted it theres heaps of growth, and where it was, tis back to the start of the cycle! though the spores higher up havent come to anything yet. i shouldnt be suprised i did supposedly study fungi at uni this year but forgive me for being so naive haha. theres also a rather suspicious sticky substance in places but as far as i know it could be insects?

the tree looks so healthy from a distance but im told they often do just before there time comes...rather grim. theres even new shoots on many branches. however, the cavitys are a lot deeper than i first thought, and theres a fair bit of rotten wood (when we got a local arborist to look at it in recent years he told us to try and dig it out to no avail), but the tree is at least 2 meters in diamater so im not too worried about its stability atm. we did used to have a tree-house in it when we were kids the remains of which are still there but im certain thats no damage to structure. the recent addition of a pond near the base of the trunk may have made it too moist thus adding to fungal problems and wood rot.

anyhow, here's some more pictures (over a few posts sorry) of the beautiful, but dying Shinus molle thanks all.

pics continued

so there we have it...my calling...if you've any suggestions, maybe you think i should try to get rid of all the fungi, dig it out more, or let it die graciously, let me know. xox

Hi Emma

All in all, it looks fairly typical for a mature Peppercorn. The general structure of the tree is ok. The mushrooms at the base may be Armillaria (different species to the guys in the US have BTW). If so, the stability of the whole tree can be questionable as it is a root rot fungus. This can be identified easy enough in person by an arborist. If you cant get someone down there, you may be able to send it away to a lab.

If the tree has no serious targets nearby, then let it live out its course.
Do not gouge out the old decay, any fresh wounding to the tree will do more harm than good.

Let us know how you go.
Trev

thanks very much for the advice Trev, will get someone on to it but i think we shall let it live out and we'll see how things go. you've been really helpfull though
;) have a good one! all the best, em.

Latest posts

Back