help! stihl 031av problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to AS first. Now I say its OK to do that. Some here may not like it. I believe tygon,the yellow seethru stuff may flex some but should work fine. What is the problem?:cheers:

Thanks Rookie1,

It doesn't want to start very easy and then when it does start it only runs for 10-20 seconds. I replaced the spark plug, fuel lines (except for the in-tank fuel line), in-tank filter and rebuilt the carburetor.

One other thing I have been mulling around is the fuel mixture ratio. This about a 35 yr old saw. I've seen recommendations for 50:1, 40:1 and 25:1. I'm using a 50:1 mix with poulan oil. Could this be the problem?

Thanks

50:1 using any Stihl or Husqvarna oil is fine. That is what I use in my 031's. It is not your problem.

My bet is you left it with fuel in it for more than a month. If so, rebuild the carb, either a Walbro WA, or a Tillotson HU3C. If it is the WA, then you need a k10WAT kit (about $5 shipped on ebay). Either way, clean the carb and go from there.

My plan for cleaning carbs is as follows: Buy a bottle of carb cleaner. Dump half to 2/3 of the carb cleaner in my truck. Cut the top off the bottle. Take the carb apart and put the entire carb into the carb cleaner bottle. Leave it overnight. Remove carb from cleaner and blow it all out with compressed air. Reassemble the carb with new gaskets.

The ethanol that the idiot politicians mandate be in gasoline likely destroyed the metering gasket in the carb.

Thanks Flyboy,

I have already rebuilt the carburetor as you suggested. The only thing that I didn't do was soak the carb in in the carb cleaner overnight. My carb actually looked pretty pristine. I did shoot carb cleaner thru every orifice and blew it out with air. I even removed the whelch (sp?) plug, cleaned the holes and replugged.

Fuel Problems

I had the same problem recently with my 30 year old, well used 031av.
After trying out just about everything, including a carby rebuild, it turned out that the rubber line that connects the carby to the crankcase had deteriorated and wasn't forming an airtight seal with the carby connector, thus not enough fuel getting to the carbuettor.
Very simple fix; new rubber hose.

Regards,
wellsy

My Stihl 031AV Electronic has the Tillotson HU3C carburetor. The link for the manual for that one posted earlier is no longer working .

Also it is not clear to me how to replace the impulse hose . Where does connect to the engine ? Maybe I overlooked it in the Sthil 031 032 manual here but I would appreciate some tips in replacing it . I don't want to disassemble anything that I don't have to .

Also is there anything one can do to minimize the the ethanol deterioration of "rubber" fuel lines and carb parts ( ie- add Stabil ? run fuel out ? etc ? )

- Thanks

Last edited:
Just looking for help

[video=youtube_share;jllLmAK2ziw]http://youtu.be/jllLmAK2ziw[/video]

Hoping I can get this video out there to see why the saw is stalling out at full RPM. I am at a little bit of a stopping point with trying to trouble shoot this saw. The problem is 1/2 way through the cut it starts to die out and stall (I am waiting for my video to upload as I am posting this). Hopefully, the video shows more detail of the issue that I am having but does something like this sound like a points issue under heavy load? Nothing has changed on this saw since I posted my last video of the saw running.

I should note that I did rebuild the carb with new pieces parts and a new fuel filter. I did have somewhat of a kink in the fuel line coming out of the tank but I got that straightened out and the issue didn't go away.

Latest posts

Back