Help w/ B/C Combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't cut firewood, just use it seasonally to get ready for deer season and may drop a tree or two here and there. I figure the little bit of weight the 16" b/c saves me is good enough for my limited use.

Hey SawTroll, when was my saw made? I can send you whatever info you need to figure it out.

I need the serial number, or a picture of the number tag. :)

Thanks alot. I really appreciate it. You guys are a lot of help and full of info!

Now I just need to start watching some Youtube videos on how to clean a saw and keep it maintained.

Most important things are to use fresh gas(ethanol free if you can get it),clean air filter,and keep the chain sharp.

You would probably benefit from using Trufuel if you only cut a little bit its ethanol free and already has the oil mixed in.

For the 445, I would get a nk b/c. I use this combo on my 350 and it works real well.

I tend to agree, if you are using semi-chisel anyway.

To me it is a major disadvantage with .325NK that there aren't any chisel chain availiable. You can run 20LPX (regular .325 in .050) on NK bars on some saws, but far from on all. I don't know how it is on the 445.

I tend to agree, if you are using semi-chisel anyway.

To me it is a major disadvantage with .325NK that there aren't any chisel chain availiable. You can run 20LPX (regular .325 in .050) on NK bars on some saws, but far from on all. I don't know how it is on the 445.

I wish I knew what you were talking about! I'm trying to pick it all up but it's like some sort of foreign language!

The nk stands for narrow kerf and the b/c stands for bar and chain. Click on the Bailey's logo at the top of the page and click on their bar selector when you get there catalogue pulled up. You can use this to find out info about what bar your saw will take. The narrow kerf chain has less resistance going through the wood.

Thanks for the info rburg. So if a narrow kerf is better why wouldn't all saws be setup this way? Is there an advantage to a standard kerf?

Thanks Chris, looking forward to it!

I think the biggest thing you need to do is see what carb adjusters your saw has and learn how to tune it, then modify the muffler. I owned my 445 for 3 years with the splined adjustment before needing to adjust the carb due to moving in elevation, then i opened up the port under the stock exhaust deflector and retuned and now it pulls a full chisel 20" as well as it used to pull a 18" semi chisel. I mean it is no 60-70CC saw when buried in black oak but with a good sharp chain it moves real well. if you take the spark arrestor screen off your muffler and look down the hole with a flashlight you will see how limited the open area is in there and how much it can be improved. made a world of difference to me.

Thanks for the info rburg. So if a narrow kerf is better why wouldn't all saws be setup this way? Is there an advantage to a standard kerf?

Thanks Chris, looking forward to it!

NK chain generally isn't cutting quite as efficiently as the regular counterpart, so it is a good idea only if the saw is weak enough to need "help" with keeping the rpm up.

This really is a "minefield" to discuss though, as there are lots of variables involved, likely more than we usually think of....

The only way to really know what works best for you and your saw is to try the different options and compare. :)

Quite a stretch for a 2.8hp saw - but it will of course work in some way.....
like said above there are lots of variables to the equation and the 445 will not pull a 20" bar like a 372 but it works ok for me. that being said i just bought a 365 special to be able to cut the bigger wood faster so the 445 will probably be downgraded from full chisel to semi to handle the limbing and dirty work. Most of my reason for a second saw was just CAD though i think and being a HP junkie.

My 350 and my 346 both came with pixel (nk) bars with 95 vp (nk) chain. I usually run nk chain on the 350 and regular .325 chain on the 346. When using either saw to noodle with, I think the nk works better than regular kerf chain.

Back