Help with 029

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cylinder still seems to be okay.

Loaned out my good Nikon digital to a good friend who shoots for the local paper. Haven't gotten it back yet from march Madness. Any chance of getting a good shot with thepoint and shoot is outta the question.

Are we thinking low compression from bad rings is the culprit or something else? It feels like the carb is not feeding enough fuel. But like I said, it was just the feeling I got. All your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Go 1.5 out on the low and a little over 1 out on the high and see what happens

At some point tomorrow, I will disassemble the carb again, and use compressed air to blow through it. I don't have a compressor myself, but the next door neighbor lets me use anything I need. Kinda limited with space nowadays, as I moved in with my fiancee. Her tool selection sucks. LOL

Maybe I will look into a set of rings or even a piston kit from Baileys. They are not too expensive, ahh, but the trouble. I don't doubt that the piston or cylinder was on its way out. I tried to tell my buddy to clean the air filter before each time he goes to cut. I can remember specifically one other time when we were sharpening chains, that the air filter was not recognizable because of the amount of dirt. Not good. He is just one of those guys that just uses stuff and never maintains anything.

Don't blast compresed air though the carb... you will ruin the H&L check valves...

Gentle air is o.k.... very gentle...

Oh... if you really have 110 compression, don't bother... even if it runs, it will be pathetic.

Don't blast compresed air though the carb... you will ruin the H&L check valves...

Gentle air is o.k.... very gentle...

Oh... if you really have 110 compression, don't bother... even if it runs, it will be pathetic.

Ok Andy, now what? The brake cleaner with the tube should have been sufficient?

The 110 was when it was hot, 120-130 when it is cold. Are you thinking rings, piston and rings, ???

I did notice a lot of fuel in the air cleaner. Felt like it was pushing a lot of air back through the carb.... ???

Last edited:
Brake cleaner is sufficient.

yes, piston and rings, maybe more.... even 130 is pathetic in a saw of that size...

The excessive fuel in the air cleaner is because your piston skirt is worn.

Last edited:
yes, piston and rings, maybe more.... even 130 is pathetic in a saw of that size...

I am going to have to research how to make my own vaccum tester, etc.

But, looks like piston and rings it is. Thanks.
I believe that the seriel number is the early one, takes the 45mm piston.

I am going to have to research how to make my own vaccum tester, etc.

But, looks like piston and rings it is. Thanks.
I believe that the seriel number is the early one, takes the 45mm piston.

Before you order parts you will want to check the cylinder condition

There is a remote possibility that its the wrong fuel hose, too long; and, its got a kink in it that restricts fuel flow. Before you laugh, I found this exact problem on a dealer repaired saw recently. However, with compression that low, its probably something else. In any case, welcome to the 029 Club, its not my favorite saw to work on.

Back