Help with 08S ignition replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When swapping out a 08S ignition for an electronic coil how do I set the timing? It looks like the position of the ignition coil sets the timing.
5f050ad24c794361454dedb6d1d7cfaf.jpg

5e9c098a44ec3a605993a66b2bb7dd97.jpg

88022698a8df5932186ae0174ded68d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To correctly set electronic ignition you need a timing light and a degree wheel.

Put the new ignition module in place and centre it in the middle of the two bolt holes (not too advance or retarded).

Fit the flywheel back on and with a degree wheel, mark TDC on the flywheel and case.

Then mark 26 degrees BTDC on just the case.

The 08’s ignition timing is 2.5 to 2.6 mm before TDC. This is 26 degrees BTDC if you don’t have a dial gauge.

Start the saw and remove the recoil cover, hold the timing light and mark on the case where the mark on the flywheel making aligns. Then bring engine speed to 6000 rpm and see if the ignition module has advance. You may wish to do this in a dark area to see it clearly.

Get the degree wheel back out and see where it’s firing relative to where it should (26BTDC at idle). Adjust the position of the module and repeat until the TDC mark you put on the flywheel aligns with the 26 degree mark you put on the case at idle :)

Use a tippex or white pain for all markings.

Hope this helps!

To correctly set electronic ignition you need a timing light and a degree wheel.

Put the new ignition module in place and centre it in the middle of the two bolt holes (not too advance or retarded).

Fit the flywheel back on and with a degree wheel, mark TDC on the flywheel and case.

Then mark 26 degrees BTDC on just the case.

The 08’s ignition timing is 2.5 to 2.6 mm before TDC. This is 26 degrees BTDC if you don’t have a dial gauge.

Start the saw and remove the recoil cover, hold the timing light and mark on the case where the mark on the flywheel making aligns. Then bring engine speed to 6000 rpm and see if the ignition module has advance. You may wish to do this in a dark area to see it clearly.

Get the degree wheel back out and see where it’s firing relative to where it should (26BTDC at idle). Adjust the position of the module and repeat until the TDC mark you put on the flywheel aligns with the 26 degree mark you put on the case at idle :)

Use a tippex or white pain for all markings.

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately, I do not own a timing light or a degree wheel. If I install the ignition in the same position as when it was on the TS350, will it work?

Unfortunately, I do not own a timing light or a degree wheel. If I install the ignition in the same position as when it was on the TS350, will it work?

The issue with trying to set it to the same position will likely leave you open to +/- 5 degrees advanced or retarded timing at the very best.

I think you are far better off using the original points in your saw. Timing is easy to adjust and set up with points.

Why do you want to change?

I’d just either put your points in and time using a multimeter or see if your dealer can set the timing if they have a timing light.

The issue with trying to set it to the same position will likely leave you open to +/- 5 degrees advanced or retarded timing at the very best.

I think you are far better off using the original points in your saw. Timing is easy to adjust and set up with points.

Why do you want to change?

I’d just either put your points in and time using a multimeter or see if your dealer can set the timing if they have a timing light.

It still has no spark even after replacing the condenser and cleaning the points.

It still has no spark even after replacing the condenser and cleaning the points.

Is the spark plug new? Have you tested it with a multimeter or for spark on another saw?

What are the readings from the primary and secondary windings and how do they compare to the manual?

Points are so simple - they open, the magnetic field around the primary coil collapses. This causes a surge in the secondary coil which produces your HT spark.

If the coils are faulty, no matter what you use (electronic or points) you still won’t get a spark.

Here is the process:

24FCFFCB-AB36-48A3-9EC6-12BB4CD354B1.jpegF1035D0F-C0E5-4B2B-8BAD-6F20B8F99D22.jpegDED957DB-A4DC-47F7-833A-DAFB03A2B317.jpeg

When swapping out a 08S ignition for an electronic coil how do I set the timing? It looks like the position of the ignition coil sets the timing.
5f050ad24c794361454dedb6d1d7cfaf.jpg

5e9c098a44ec3a605993a66b2bb7dd97.jpg

88022698a8df5932186ae0174ded68d0.jpg

You can search a vedio on Youtube.

Just tested my 08s ignition coil, the saw is apart. The primary was great, secondary gave me 10 - 12 ohms. It should be between 5-6.
Gave it a quick clean up but still no better. I’ll only replace it if it doesn’t work reliably. Let me know your reading and we can compare :)

Back