Help with 346 xp rebuild. Save this saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuts0322

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello guys. I spoke earlier about a 346 xp saw that I was gifted as a project. I found out more about the saw. The saw was built by I highly reputable builder off of this site. The first firing after being rebuilt, the saw was gassed. The saw was then rebuilt again by the same builder with care and was sent back. The saw was fitted with an OEM cylinder and piston. Upon receiving the saw, my good friend tuned in lean and the saw was run for a few minutes. He spent about 300 on the saw and then 200 on the new cylinder and piston. So after a 500 investment, this saw has been shut down. I am going to bring it back. I have little knowledge of 2 strokes, but I am very smart and mechanically inclined. I ran into my first snag today. I removed silencer, cover, plug, filter, and then pulled throttle rod free from the carb. Removed rubber piece between throttle linkage and the handle. I then removed 2 fuel lines to the carb. One from the bulb and another from what I am assuming may be the tank. I then removed the two bolts to the carb and the 4 bolts bolting down the top of the cylinder. Now comes the first problem. I see that the carb is being held on by a screw connected to the choke pull. It seems to be the only thing holding the carb in place that is left.

1) Do I need to unscrew screw connecting choke pull to the carb.

It is the only thing holding the carb from being able to be pulled free. The manual says open the spring lock on the rubber bellows, undo the carb bolts, then lift out the carb. I seem to be missing something here to pull the carb out.

2) Is the spring lock the spring clamp that runs on the rubber between the carb and the cylinder. Seems as though this does not really hold the carb in place.

3) Any advice on getting the upper part of the cylinder to break free.

As soon as I get this thing cracked open I am going to post pics of the the cylinder piston. I went to the store today to get some snap ring pliers to help get the piston out. Please let me know if I will need any other special tools along the way. Thanks guys. Much more to come.

Hmmm, that story sounds familiar.

There is no need to remove the carb to pull the cylinder. Removing the two bolts that mount the carb, and the four that hold the cylinder down, and the four that hold the muffler, the cylinder will pop off. The Yamabond does hold pretty well, so it might be necessary to do a bit of gentle prying to loosen it.

You don't need any special tools (no need for snap ring pliers). You obviously have the correct hex wrench. A pair of needle nosed pliers will help get the circlip back in place.

Back