Help with brand new Stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddofWaco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all!!! I just bought a new Stihl 261 and have a problem. I dropped 2 trees with it this afternoon and after killing the engine then restarting, I can't get the chain brake to release. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can help with this issue. I'm new to chainsaws but I have to say I really like this one if I can just get the brake to release. Thanks in advance for any input.

Todd.

pull the handle back,, if it won't come back them something come apart in the mechanism,, if thats the case take back to the dealer

Crap... I was hoping that wouldnt be the case.... I got lots to cut tomorrow.... was hoping there was something I could do to get it to disengage. Yeah I've pulled it back to no avail...

Thanks guys

It will pull back like its disengaging... but nothing happens... chain still locked... Gonna check to see if dealer is open tomorrow... hopefully so.

Does it click like it is disengaging? Did you pinch the bar by any chance? You can take the bar and chain off and try to turn the sprocket to see if it is engaged or not to rule out the a bar and chain issue quick.

ANY Stihl Dealer tomorrow can help you with your new saw. They are a great choice in the 50cc class.

Thanks guys... ok... at the end of the last cut I did pinch it ... I took bar and chain off... Clutch does spin... checked the bar end rolly thing and it was stoved up... looks like debris down in the little kerf area... can I clean this out somehow and maybe it will work again? or did I mess the bar up? thanks again

Thanks guys... ok... at the end of the last cut I did pinch it ... I took bar and chain off... Clutch does spin... checked the bar end rolly thing and it was stoved up... looks like debris down in the little kerf area... can I clean this out somehow and maybe it will work again? or did I mess the bar up? thanks again

That's what I suspected. Clean out the groove and free up the sprocket. Should be good to go. Next time, just push the chain on a log and it should break loose.

Working like a a champ again... thanks guys.... my wife is impressed with this forum... she couldn't believe how fast the responses were... as am I. I'm gonna start a new thread now on maybe getting some tips on cutting the trunk down low to ground without getting a pinch and making sure not to get into the dirt after felling the tree.... Hope to see you guys there.. :yoyo:

Also make sure you are not running it out of oil. Seems obvious but it can stop a chain quick.

You are on the best site in the world for help and info right here no bones about it:hmm3grin2orange:

Also there is a lot of love going around for the MS261:msp_thumbup:

Working like a a champ again... thanks guys.... my wife is impressed with this forum... she couldn't believe how fast the responses were... as am I. I'm gonna start a new thread now on maybe getting some tips on cutting the trunk down low to ground without getting a pinch and making sure not to get into the dirt after felling the tree.... Hope to see you guys there.. :yoyo:

Glad we could help get you back to work tomorrow:)

Use wedges to keep the bar from getting pinched when stumping. Before the cut starts to close on the bar you tap the wedge into the cut with the back of an axe to keep it open. Easiest way to stay out of the dirt is to make a partial cut through the log, roll it over, and finish the cut.

Latest posts

Back