Help with completing a stump removal, that a stump grinder couldn't get all of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakkon

Reaction score
I cut down several crate murtal's and had the stumps ground. However, on a couple of the stumps the guy couldn't get all the way down to the tap root.

One of these stumps is an issue. I am building a retaining wall, and i need a rail road tie to be right where the stump is at!!, the stump is just inside my property line..

Here are a couple photos, you can see the remaining part of the stump, as well as the tie that i need to move by about 10-12"
be0e78bc.jpg

84386379.jpg

I have a rotary hammer drill, that i tried with a chisel bit... It did not work out well for me...
3-in-1 1" SDS Rotary Hammer
this is the drill i was using, while i like this hammer drill the hammer action did not have enough travel, i think all of the impacts were absorbed by the wood.

I was thinking bout trying a jack hammer?

another option that would be a possibility. would be an auger bit with a boxer that i am going to rent. this is a photo of the machine that i am going to rent with an auger bit on it.
300_Series_Auger2_sm.jpg

My last option that i may try today is to use a carbide chain, on my Sthil MS250, i have a Rapco chain that i bought to cut the ties with.. I also bought 2 diamond sharpening wheels, so i can re-sharpen the chain...

Thank you for your help!

My first thought is that you need a better stump guy. A real (pneumatic) paving breaker will work on a stump, you'll need an asphalt chisel (5"wide) which you'll need to sharpen with a grinder until it's as sharp as an axe. Or get a better stump guy. For what it will cost to rent a compressor and hammer you could have it ground to your needs.

I sure hope you didn't pay the guy who ground them the first time?

Looks like part of the roots? Sure it'd be nice to use a power tool on it but an axe will work fine.

How far below the grade did he grind it? Can't tell from your pictures but it looks like he didn't go much below. Any decent machine should be able to get down at least 12" roots and all. Just find a better stump guy or even rent a machine yourself, it's as easy as that. Why would you even consider beating on it.

A good stumper chap should be able to go deeper enough to chew out that root mass. But beware there may be a reason the 1st bloke held back best check whats under the ground here water gas electric before you go deep n hard.

It might be down far enough you can split it with an ax and cut it out. It is a lot easier then it sounds. dig around it a little with a garden spade to expose it some, then wack it with an ax and see if it splits. then do it again from another angle. I doubt it has a tap root and be willing to bet there isn't much more left under it.
More to the point I would call that guy back and have him finish the job he started. Was he a lic. contractor?

Latest posts

Back