Help with Husky 359 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Tree service guy friend of mine has this 359 e-tech that has been nothing but problems for him. A while back, he had a problem with it not wanting to hold tune. Says it was "surging" at WOT. Brought it home and inspected everything. Found that the carb mount was loose (sucking a little air). So I tore everything down, cleaned the carb, carb kit, new fuel filter, plug, etc. Needed general maintenance as well. Got the saw to tune. Ran great.
Now a few months later, same deal. I brought it home with me today and everything seems to be tight. I expected to find the same problem.

Here's the deal. I can get it started. Will run to wide open throttle without hesitation. While at WOT, it will surge slightly, singing between 4 strokin' and lean almost in a rhythmic pattern. Let go of the throttle and it will wind down and die. Try to start it and it won't start without choking it. Once I get it started, it will hesitate to throttle up and want to die. Back to WOT and same thing.

I opened and closed the fuel cap to see if there might be a vent blockage, but makes no difference. I reset carb setting and started from scratch, no better. I even took the non e-tech muffler from my 357XP to make sure I wasn't having some kind of blockage at the muffler. Intake boot has metal ring, not plastic.

I need some help...

Have you replaced the fuel filter yet? Or checked the fuel line for cracks?

Is it a plastic clip on the intake? They are known to be a problem and there is an intake with metal band to replace it. check over the intake , sounds like an air leak or leak in the pulse line.

Is it a plastic clip on the intake? They are known to be a problem and there is an intake with metal band to replace it. check over the intake , sounds like an air leak or leak in the pulse line.

I have replaced the fuel filter. The retaining band on the intake is metal. I had to do that upgrade to my 357XP.

Let's see: No change in rpm's when the saw is turned in any direction. Just got the thing cleaned up, I will have a look at the carb mount, fuel line, and impulse tube.

There was a problem with some of the 357/359 carbs

Not long ago, Red started a thread about a problematic 359 that displayed similar symptoms to those you describe. Jacob J informed us that evidently Husky has had problems with the Walbro carbs(HDA-199 I believe) and replacing them with a Zama carb that also requires a new carb flange. Husky hasn't announced a recall-I'm guessing because the problem has not been widespread. I tried to post a link to this thread but somehow I wiped out my entire post.

Fuel and impulse lines okay. Gaskets on both sides of the carb mount appear to be okay as well. And the tank vent is working properly.

Last edited:
Not long ago, Red started a thread about a problematic 359 that displayed similar symptoms to those you describe. Jacob J informed us that evidently Husky has had problems with the Walbro carbs(HDA-199 I believe) and replacing them with a Zama carb that also requires a new carb flange. Husky hasn't announced a recall-I'm guessing because the problem has not been widespread. I tried to post a link to this thread but somehow I wiped out my entire post.

Boy that's funny. I did have a problem with my own Walbro carb on the 357 and finally got frustrated and bought a brand new one from Bailey's. Saw has been fine ever since. Never thought it could have been an epidemic. I will start searching, but if anyone knows the link, it's appreciated.

Last edited:
Back