help with Husqvarna 357 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The ground saw Iv been using at work, a Husqvarna 357 XP keeps stopping. It'll start up fine, run like a champ for 10 min. then stop running and not start again for hours. It dies like some one hit the off switch. I would think it was the switch except for it starting again later with out doing anything to it. It just started to do this recently. Very frustrating to say the lest.
Any ideas of things I could check out would be a big help. Thank you.
This is off topic but I'm so happy I want to share. I was giving a brand neww husky 338xpt. It had only been used a few times. Today the boss backed over it with the crane. He was pissed, I told him it wasn't that bad and I could fix it. He said merry Christmas, you can have it. I took it a part tonight. Just the tank/handle housing is trashed and the side bar cover. A new housing is 75.00 bucks. I can't wait to put it back together. I wish he'd run over a 066.

Congrats on the 338! The 357 sounds like an ignition module to me. Best way to find out is to start it up, run it until it shuts off, then pull the plug and check for spark. Sometimes when a coil goes bad it will work fine cold and then stop when it gets hot. Good luck.

I've seen a scored piston (low compression) saw run fine for a bit and then not want to idle. Then it dies and won't start until cooled off again. Sooo, if it has spark when it won't start, do a compression test. If that checks out, make sure the gas tank vent is working... won't start, take off gas cap and put it back on. If it starts after a few pulls to get the fuel flowing, then it's likely the tank vent plugged.

The coil ignition module can cause this but very expensive, also the air vent, so worth diagnosing properly before you throw loads of cash at it.
next time it fails take out the spark plug, if it's dry suspect air vent if wet electrics, I have had an HT lead cause this too! but you need to check basics first.
good luck

The coil ignition module can cause this but very expensive, also the air vent, so worth diagnosing properly before you throw loads of cash at it.
next time it fails take out the spark plug, if it's dry suspect air vent if wet electrics, I have had an HT lead cause this too! but you need to check basics first.
good luck

Agreed, but you would need to pull the saw several times after it shuts off to expect a wet plug.

Yes agree, but most of us give um that before we give up! and try different throttle settings too..
good point for novice though...

I found a timing light good to check out ignition faults, you can see it brake down wile running the saw! if you got or can borrow one??

not sure about the scored piston idea! low compression caused by jugs, pistons and gasket, seals tend to stop them from starting in the first place, not run like a champ for ten minuets then die.

My advice is to eliminate all the basic (cheap) fixes first before replacing expensive parts or rebuilding engines.

Last edited:
good luck

Coil is 15 to 35 dollars on ebay, used or AM. Can be sourced from 340 to 390. If described symptoms are consistent, change the coil and don`t look back!

Coil is 15 to 35 dollars on ebay, used or AM. Can be sourced from 340 to 390. If described symptoms are consistent, change the coil and don`t look back!

Yes like I said "worth diagnosing properly before you throw loads of cash at it" be a bummer if it was blocked vent! and you just spent $35 on a coil you didn't need! and the time it takes to fit and set up only to find it's not that!

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is to crack the fuel cap. If the vent is failing the tank will build a vacuum that will not allow the carb to pull fuel. Cracking the cap open allows the pressure to stabilize and if it is the tank vent, the saw should run. If this doesn't fix it, I would try a new plug, and then finally replace the coil.

Back