help with Mac SP105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeymt33

I bleed YELLOW!
Reaction score
I bought a SP105 about a year ago and it didn't come with a bar and chain. I'm just now getting around to getting it running and I would like to get a 3/8 rim for it. right now it is a .404 rim. Also, I got a PM700 with a 24" bar that I would like to put on the SP105. Questions are:

Will there be any issue enlarging the slot on that 24" bar to fit the SP105?

Also, where can I get a 3/8 rim for this saw?

thanks for the help

Lots of folks have widened the slot, shouldn't be a problem. So long as the saw has a rim and drum, any new rim should work from a site sponsor.

i'm still looking for a 3/8 rim for this saw. I'm not sure which one to get due to I can't find any that are listed for a SP105. I may go ahead and get a 7 tooth and a 8 tooth.

any help would be appreciated

Joey - Does your saw already have the rim type drum, or is it a spur type drum? If it is the spur type drum, you will need a new clutch drum with the spline for the rim sprocket. You can then put on any sprocket you want, 3/8 in 7 or 8 tooth or .404 in 7 or 8 tooth. Any spine drum you get for the big saws will be the large spline, 7/8" I believe.

Make sure your sprocket selection matches the sprocket in your bar if it is a sprocket nose. I have modified a few 10 Series bars to mount on the larger saws, 15-20 minutes with a file and voila, you have a new bar. Be careful though since some bars will be thinner than the original type bars and the chain (.404 in particular) may strike the bar plates. In that case you have to add a set of bar spacers, I think the part number is 9202.

Mark

I used an Efco bar on my sp105 with no modifications. The 3/8 sprocket should not be a problem either.

anyone know how many links my new chain will need to be for the 24" 10-series bar on a sp105?

sounds really tough for me to figure out, is there a good way to measure?

Back