Help with Stihl 044 crank seals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K7NUT

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey, all that has done this more than I.
I have a friends 044(10mm)with a nasty starboard crank seal, he bought it this way, knowing it would need work. I thought the toughest thing to do, was clean and take it apart, which was a JOB in and of itself, I think it was never cleaned after use. So F FWD to R&R the seals, I have now put the fourth seal in the SB side and it still leaks, not a whole lot, but it leaks!? Now the seals I have(he got)are Mtanlo from Amazon, are these crappy seals or am I just doing something wrong(OE)?
It wouldn't surprise me if it's OE, I have only installed two sets so far, but I have tried installing HIGH and testing, then pushing in deeper, but I can not stop the leaking?
I even tried another collar from another 044 thinking maybe, the collar has a groove...nope, doesn't matter, will not hold pressure, I see bubbles!?

Hey, all that has done this more than I.
I have a friends 044(10mm)with a nasty starboard crank seal, he bought it this way, knowing it would need work. I thought the toughest thing to do, was clean and take it apart, which was a JOB in and of itself, I think it was never cleaned after use. So F FWD to R&R the seals, I have now put the fourth seal in the SB side and it still leaks, not a whole lot, but it leaks!? Now the seals I have(he got)are Mtanlo from Amazon, are these crappy seals or am I just doing something wrong(OE)?
It wouldn't surprise me if it's OE, I have only installed two sets so far, but I have tried installing HIGH and testing, then pushing in deeper, but I can not stop the leaking?
I even tried another collar from another 044 thinking maybe, the collar has a groove...nope, doesn't matter, will not hold pressure, I see bubbles!?
Where is the leak exactly inner lip or outer ? Spray with soapy water to pinpoint. LMK!

Where is the leak exactly inner lip or outer ? Spray with soapy water to pinpoint. LMK!
It’s mostly coming up through the shaft and collar, which got me thinking, I need to push it all the way in?
Whats this about grease before seal, where does one put it?
I can get a vid of it, but it’s basically like this old one, I checked out the saw, old seal before I tore into it. Bummer, I already pulled the can, I’ll have to wait til the new P&C show up before the test, but I can work on the 026 in the mean time. This grease trick I need to hear more about.

It’s mostly coming up through the shaft and collar, which got me thinking, I need to push it all the way in?
I can get a vid of it, but it’s basically like this old one, I checked out the saw, old seal before I tore into it. Bummer, I already pulled the can, I’ll have to wait til the new P&C show up before the test, but I can work on the 026 in the mean time. This grease trick I need to hear more about.
Apparently I need to learn how to push a pic/video up, does it need to be “hosted”?

Wish I knew that before I junked 3 new seals…but, live & learn. 🤔
Thank you for your help/advice, now I know!👍
Everything to keep in mind, because someday, I’ll get time to do the P&C on my 064, might come in handy?

Take the plug out and spin over the engine and see if the seal seats in.

From personal experience, DIY seal installation is harder than it looks. Its easy to mark metal when removing the old seal and it easy to turn the lip (and drop the spring) of the new seal. Grease and some kind of DIY installation sleeve (plastic from a bottle etc.) is helpful. Proceed with care.

Just for reference, the seal on the 044 clutch side does NOT ride on the crankshaft. It rides on a sleeve that is installed after the seal is installed. The rubber lip does not touch the crank on installation. The sleeve does dot curl the lip as it is installed from the outside in. Not sure if any other saw is made this way.
The previous suggestions DO apply to almost any other crank seal I can think of.
I find filling the backside of the seal with grease to hold the spring in place and lubing the seal well on the lip helps a lot.

Latest posts

Back