Help with Stihl 050

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigade

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have just received one with a chewed up spark plug thread, wet noodle starter rope (doesn't rewind), hard cracked gas & impulse lines....

Not complaining, it really doesn't look that bad but will require some TLC. I would also like to consider putting on a 076 cylinder & piston.

I have no documentation for this series so if anyone has the service manuals or IPL for either the 050/051 or 075/076 that they would be willing to share it would be greatly appreciated. Links to this info would also be wonderful.

Regards

For the IPL send me a PM with your email. I can't help you with the work shop manual though.

I'm not sure you'll be able to do the 076 conversion to your saw. I've read some of the threads on the subject, and it sounds like you need a later model 051 as a starting point. I have no personal experience with it though.

Is yours the eBay saw that sold a couple weeks ago? That was a nice looking saw (aside from the stripped spark plug hole).

Just a heads up. The one thing I remember about the 050s was that they seemed to have way too many clutch problems. With the advent of the improved version, the 051, that problem seemed to fade away.

For the IPL send me a PM with your email. I can't help you with the work shop manual though.

Done...thank you

Is yours the eBay saw that sold a couple weeks ago? That was a nice looking saw (aside from the stripped spark plug hole).

:greenchainsaw: Yes it is.

Just a heads up. The one thing I remember about the 050s was that they seemed to have way too many clutch problems. With the advent of the improved version, the 051, that problem seemed to fade away.

I wasn't aware of that....maybe a parts swap is in order?

MANUALS RECEIVED

Last edited:
What is different about the 051 clutch? The IPL doesn't really show the difference between these saws. Aside from the air filter cover, and the trigger interlock (added on the 051 apparently), the saws look the same to me and seem to use the same parts.

I was just a young whippersnapper at the time, but I hung around the saw shop now and then, and I heard a lot of grumbling and cussing about the clutches on the early 050s. I don't know what was done to resolve it, but I remember the 051s to be good, solid saws. Back in those days, they were state of the art, and pretty much an industry standard in the woods out that way.

Latest posts

Back