Help with this tree issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevytaHOE5674

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok these pictures are of a cherry tree at my brothers house about 10 hours from me now and he needs a little information. The tree lost a limb and split the tree to the ground. Wants to know if he should remove it or let it go and see what happens? Any help is appreciated.

100_0602.jpg

100_0600.jpg

100_0601.jpg

It certainly has received a beating. Question is what are the targets around it and what will future targets be in say 10, 20, 30 years. It is a massive wound and I would clean up, looking at the picture, the right side of the trunk, bring it right to the ground. It is a younger tree, if it has no targets or potential targets in the years to come I would leave it. If it has a target, even if it is in an open field kids my play there and years to come I would take it down while it is small.

The limb on the right has been removed, the trunk has been cleaned up to the stump. all the split and lose wood has been removed now. It has no targets now (and shouldn't for a few years) and i told him to watch for any signs of crown die back or signs of stresses.

I wish i was there to make a further assessment of the tree but i can't get a look at it.

Looks like it is near something(upper right hand of pic) and is a hazard. I would remove it.

Was not a lightning strike it just fell over one day no lightning in um a few months. It is near a deck but it is out of reach, would have to put on 20' to hit the deck, and when i get home i will keep it pruned. It looks closer to the deck than it really is. Only object it is near is the output PVC pipe for the sub-pump.

Remove the tree clean to the ground, grind/remove the stump if possible and plant a replacement. The damage done is likely to be the long term death of this tree and is definately a high risk fall at some stage in the near future. Even with no structures nearby the thought of losing a branch where it may harm a child is all the justification required.

I have no arbor experience outside Australia but the damage immediately above the lost branch looks like damage done to sugar gums by parrots. Is this something you experince in the US?

Check out these pictures.

They look really similar to yours.....

View attachment 77106

View attachment 77107

Do you have birds that eat tree sap?

As a side note, the Sugar Gum dropped the branch, weighing about 250kg, onto the toilet block of a school. We removed the debris and cleaned up other small branches but after I showed the Principal this picture he decided to have the tree removed.
View attachment 77108

On a lighter note, turn the picture upside down.... :laugh:

he might as well get rid of that one, that wound will most likely never close up and will probably start to rot over the years.

Latest posts

Back