hemlock issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan629

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a hemlock that had mites that killed off the main leader. my question is how do i get a new leader to replace it thanks

i ll try tomorrow, how do you get a pic on, i widened the mulch ring over the winter because we have thick bermuda grass and i gave it some organic fertilizer + compost.
it also seems to have nice buds on it

Check out the support and announcements forum and there is a thread in there on how to post pics. Be careful with fertilizer, it can make a pest problem worse. Its always best to test the soil to find out what the soil is lacking.

Evan, on resizing pictures I open mine in Picture Manager (microsoft works), then select Edit, then Web page option, then Compress pics. Save. and you are good to go. (Hopefully, I didn't leave out a step there. But it should walk you through it.)

On the Hemlock question. Often times you can help a conifer "choose" a new leader by picking a suitable lateral and tying it up with a brace. Pictures will be very helpful in determining if this is possible in this case.

If you do not assist the tree, the tree may end up with several codominant tops which could present issues in the future.

I firmly agree with Kennertree on watching the fertilizer! Be careful there.

Sylvia

attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG]
ok these are the pics, finnally got them on, let me know if you want better ones, i also have a soil tester and it said that it was in need of so fertilizer, the fertilizer was meant for evergreen trees

Last edited:
Just to let you do, this hemlock diease was blown across Long Island Sound during Hurricane Gloria back in 1985. It's been working north since then. Caused by aphids.

Evan it looks more like winter burn than mite issue-hard to tell in the pic. I wouldn't worry to much over the fert aspect- new growth looks great. I would wait a couple of years to see what new leader looks best before pruning.

thanks thats probally what i will do, does the dry cold air cause the winter burn, any thing to do to prevent it

The best prevention is making sure the plant has enough water especially in the fall. It appearers that the Hemlock is no larger than 6' so protecting it in a burlap screen is an option. Winter sun and wind are the main causes of burn and it happens in or area usually in the tail end of winter Jan to Feb.

Back