hemlock problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman0490

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking through my arborist books, and on line, and have not found a definitive answer as to what exaclty these brown masses are on the underside of the hemlock. The customer said he has had the hemlocks spraid for hemlock woolly adelgid last year, and I didn't see any hwa today. This was the only hemlock with the brown masses; some of his other hemlocks have elongate hemlock scale. Thanks for your help.

Hemlocks are monoecious (male and female flowers are different, but both present). Male flowers look like small round pods. The female "flowers" are the "cones" that develop. The male flowers open and release pollen, the female "cones" receive it, mature and release seeds. It appears you have VERY distinct, OPEN, male flowers on this plant.

I guess I should have thought of that, this tree was the only one that did not have the circular hemlock scale on it; but it was also the only one which had the needles in a three dimensional pattern; they did not lay flat like they are supposed to. These needles look the way they do when HWA is on them, but they weren't on this one; strange.

Latest posts

Back