Hey, look at this Roper model C 33231 R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I did not know until recently that Roper actually put some saws out there with their own name. This would the the same saw as the better known early version Sears/Roper chainsaw, which there seems to be a couple other versions out there also.

This one checks out well and the only issue I have found is the decomp is stuck open and it is missing the clutch cover, though I have plenty of parts here to put it back together. These saws were built in the 60's and were most certainly "ahead of their time" and the design was most obviously taken from Homelite.

100_2684.jpg

100_2675.jpg

100_2677.jpg

100_2680.jpg

100_2681.jpg

100_2682.jpg

I'd say in this case that Roper's design was "influenced" by the XL12 series...........but that they did some of their own unique tweeks. Homelite later took note of the Roper design, and "borrowed" some aspects of it for their XL76-130 series saws.............................after 'shrinking' it a bit. It's a grand circle. Carl has posted some neat 'side-by-side' Roper and Homelite pics which illustrate this.

Those Ropers

Thanks for sending the PM notice on this thread. There is a lot of chainsaw history out there, and we don't have a sticky on the Sears/Craftsman line. I know that a variety of manufacturers have contributed to their line, but even following something as seemingly simple as the Poulan lineage can make your eyes cross and they are but one of the various product lines that got badged Craftsman. The Craftsman Roper 3.7 was the first saw I used bringing down timber on the Ohio River floodplains and farmlands of Western KY (Bourbon country!!) so I have a fondness for that line--and it was practically as big as me when I first used it. I doubt I'll ever be the one to Sticky the Craftsman or Roper line, but someone out there eventually will--They don't have the recognition of Husquvarna or Stihl and don't share that staggering popularity, but they have a place in history.
I don't have a Porche or BMW, but I've got some trusty rugged Jeep Wranglers I built and an old beat up Truck I drive, but the Corvette sits in the garage and I don't really know why I bought it 17 yrs ago. You'd never believe what I've put my Craftsman/Roper thru over the years, and it still howls so it deserves the teardown and rebuild I'm trying to get thru on it. And I got to see my Dad bring it home new from Sears. I just hope I'm worthy.

The Homelite XL76-130 series is an improved Roper Format. Except for the really uptown adjustable while running automatic oiler on the Craftsman/Roper.

The Homie beats the Roper in the weight department by 3+ pounds.

The Homelite XL76-130 series is an improved Roper Format. Except for the really uptown adjustable while running automatic oiler on the Craftsman/Roper.

The Homie beats the Roper in the weight department by 3+ pounds.

I weighed the Roper this evening with a 17" B/C and got 14lbs 14.6ozs, it also had a full oil tank but no fuel. Going by Mike acres site the Homelite series you mentioned weighed 12.5lbs dry with no B/C. Figuring that the 17" B/C and the full oil tank weighs 2.5lbs that would put them about equal. Of course I am basing my figures on information from Acres........

The "Assembled in Mexico" sticker kind of caught me off guard also, especially since the saw dates back to the 60's.

Here is the saw completely assembled. I still have to do the carb kit and fuel line but that is only a couple hours work and it should be ready to go to Butner with me.

100_2758.jpg

100_2759.jpg

I weighed the Roper this evening with a 17" B/C and got 14lbs 14.6ozs, it also had a full oil tank but no fuel. Going by Mike acres site the Homelite series you mentioned weighed 12.5lbs dry with no B/C. Figuring that the 17" B/C and the full oil tank weighs 2.5lbs that would put them about equal. Of course I am basing my figures on information from Acres........

Official backyard data: R.T.R. with 16" b/c and full fluids using my Rapala digital fishin' scale.

Craftsman/Roper..............15# 7 oz.
Homelite XL-101...............14# 2 oz.

Well anyway, it feels like three pounds lighter. LOL

Just for grins: The much estiemed Pro Mac 10-10S w/24".........19# 11 oz.. Yikes.

Latest posts

Back