Hey Zogger...small wood haul pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I was working on big rounds now got into some smaller stuff. Seems like I am going WAY faster without having to split. And to be honest, my back and shoulders appreciate the break from the big stuff too. Oak and maple especially, I'll go pretty small. It burns good and hot.

I've been heating my house this week by feeding my boiler with only small stuff I've picked up off the ground within 100 yards of the boiler.

I live in the forest.

I like small stuff because it makes a ton of heat in a short period of time which is handy this time of year when I start a small fire in the morning which keeps the house warm all day.

If I'm in the woods behind my house, I'll cut down to some pretty small stuff. If I'm at my hunting land 20 miles away, I don't go so small. I find its easier starting fires with the small stuff. I just use one of those little square fire starters with wood under 2". It saves on having to split kindling. Also some small pieces can help fill the gaps when you're stuffing the stove before bedtime. If I get home and the fire is out, and the stove is cold,(I have a soapstone stove), the small stuff will get things heated up faster than the big stuff.

I usually cut any branch down to 2-3". No splitting and I love using those pieces for starting the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn it all, big or small. I like to make use of the whole tree. Smallies make quick, intense heat and fill the gaps nicely. I also use the dickens out of my back yard fire pit too. Sun or snow, I don't care.

Hey Spike60, Nice job on the clean up and a score of some nice oak. I can see why the “other guy” is always behind with his wood. I let a lot of people cut wood on some of our property and if they left a mess like that, they’d be buying their wood from then on. When I had the inside stove, I left nothing behind and even now with the OWB a lot of the smaller stuff will fill the gaps between the larger pieces. When the folks were still living, mom would call that “Daytime Wood” Kind’a funny because I’d drive through the woods and load the trailer with all that stuff and later I’d help dad run that through the Buzz Saw. A few weeks ago the wife and I pulled the trailer through the woods, we had enough dry oak limbs to heat the folks house while we were up there hunting for the week and should have enough in the shed for the next year.

Hey;

Thanks for the pics, yes I also have grown to like smaller trees for firewood. I would rather not have to rip large rounds down just to load them in the trailer!

Also, it seems I can load a lot more into the trailer if I buck to 7-8 ft lengths in the woods and buck to 16" at home. Faster to load up too.

Lots of nice kindling in those pics. Good to use every bit of the tree (exept the roots) .

Back