Hi, Al here from South Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eraser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just purchased a Stihl 500i (impressive) after my old Dolmar 90 decided to have spark problems, had the Dolmar 28 years or so, great service but no decompress on the start, I needed a saw easier on my back and shoulders when starting and a 25 inch bar for what I cut. Still learning about chainsaws, still trying to find the best cutting angles for Gum trees, usually have to resharpen after a days cutting or sometimes more often if there are ants in the centre. I use a 240 volt sharpener and when cutting away from home carry a couple of spare chains.

Just purchased a Stihl 500i (impressive) after my old Dolmar 90 decided to have spark problems, had the Dolmar 28 years or so, great service but no decompress on the start, I needed a saw easier on my back and shoulders when starting and a 25 inch bar for what I cut. Still learning about chainsaws, still trying to find the best cutting angles for Gum trees, usually have to resharpen after a days cutting or sometimes more often if there are ants in the centre. I use a 240 volt sharpener and when cutting away from home carry a couple of spare chains.
Hello,

If you are getting a days cutting without re-sharpening you are doing a heck of a lot better than the majority.

Well that describes me. :) I am not familiar with Gum trees. How do they cut? How big do they get?
Gum trees are Eucalyptus trees and grow to 450 plus feet. Much too big for me to cut, tried to post a picture of a tree I am working on but I do not know how to place them on this site. California imported them, to their regret. they drop branches anytime they are stressed, which can be too hot, too dry, too wet, someone said something bad about them. Nasty. the branches can weigh up to several tonnes and there is no warning when this is going to happen, no creaking, nothing. they quite literally just explode of the trunk and drop immediately, but on the plus side they make excellent firewood, burns hot and long.

I dont know how i did this but here are a couple

Attachments

• IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    720.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0205.JPG