Hi to everyone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkmonte

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to say Hi, here is a few pics of my buddy and I milling our first tree, think its a red oak, either that or a white oak. We did this tree couple months ago with a rancher 55 husq saw with the alaskan mill and also the portable mill (the one for beams), took a while and was slow but did a good job, then my friend bought a husq 390xp, that thing has some balls, we have a 24" and 36" bar for it. We are just starting doing a white oak now thats alot more whiter then the redish one we did. the tree in this pic got us about (10) 1"X16"X12' boards and (3) 2"X16"X12' boards.

Ken

p.s. Oh i blurred out his face since i didn't have his permission to post his mug on here. =)

The joys of milling!:cheers:

Ugh! A Husky 55 on the mill must have been really slow. I used a 272xp on mine in a bit smaller wood and thought it slow. The 390XP should be a HUGE improvement.:chainsawguy:

I used a Husky 353 with Haddon Lumbermaker and it did fine cutting a 6x6, but your picture shows a much larger cut with that mini mill.

The mill design

The banndmill I am building has a tensioning mechanism that allows you to adjust the tension on the blade. The amount of tire pressure will do this to some degree but generally not enough to make the blade track and not slip

Welcome kkmonte, big difference in those saws for sure.

tnmike you hit this one over the fence and into the next thread, foul ball. :)

Trust me from experience talking, knees aren't going to last long crawling along the log pushing that csm like that. Nice job for a first time one though. If you search around this section you will find some threads on how to get that thing off the ground so it's easier on the back and knees.

Yea i was actually planning on using 2 hydraulic jacks and building a little stand thing that I can set the tree in and then jack up each side to level it and get it off the ground so its easy to work on. Oh well, we are still young, so the knees/backs are still kind of healthy. =)

Ken

... Oh well, we are still young, so the knees/backs are still kind of healthy. =)

Ken

Yes great to have 20-30 yr old knees. My point was more... I'm only 55, but I wish now I had NOT spent all that time on my knees working on cars etc 20-30 years ago that I did. Knees are one of the first things that start wearing out.

I use an aluminum automotive floor jack to raise the logs high enough to put a couple small horses under them when milling. It's light enough to carry to the woods with me, and with 13 inches of reach, it does the job quickly.

Yes great to have 20-30 yr old knees. My point was more... I'm only 55, but I wish now I had NOT spent all that time on my knees working on cars etc 20-30 years ago that I did. Knees are one of the first things that start wearing out.

I use an aluminum automotive floor jack to raise the logs high enough to put a couple small horses under them when milling. It's light enough to carry to the woods with me, and with 13 inches of reach, it does the job quickly.

Along these same lines, I just started using a respirator while milling this weekend. There was a HUGE difference in the way I felt that evening and the next day. Those vapors and dust can be really nasty.

Nice job on the milling, by the way...

Thanks for posting your milling pics. I'm one year younger than Woodshop and agree with him about the knees. I mill mainly in a tree loppers yard where there is a fork lift but use a kangaroo jack when I'm in the field. I don't worry about getting the log level and actually leave it so that one end is higher than the other so you are milling downhill.

Along these same lines, I just started using a respirator while milling this weekend. There was a HUGE difference in the way I felt that evening and the next day. Those vapors and dust can be really nasty.

Nice job on the milling, by the way...

just to add a bit in this same direction I switched to stihl hp ultra mix oil and stihl bio plus bar oil. both are biodegradable and the mix oil produces less smole and the smoke it does produce smells more like a deep fryer. It is definately easier on the lungs even with a respirator. plus crawling around in dino oil covered sawdust is not good for your skin. the cost diference is minor compared to your good health particularly with the mix oil.

Welcome to AS.
NIce looking log there, the lumber must be pretty nice too.

That tractor will lift a log end up so you can crib it up higher, and have your starting end about 1' higher than your finishing end, gravity is your friend.

Keep up the good work.

Back