High efficiency fireplace or wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noslo65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone give some advice on either buying a wood stove or a high efficiency fireplace. To me it would seem that if you want to heat with mostly wood that a stove would hold up better. The stoves seem more efficient. I have been doing research for about 3 months now. I can not decide what to go with. My house is 4 years old. 1850 sf ranch with basement, 2x6 walls with fiberglass, very open floor plan, and 8 ft ceilings. I have thought about a wood furnace, but dont think they are as efficient, and like the idea of having the fire where we can keep an eye on it. Too much money for any outside systems. The fireplaces are also expensive, and I still like the idea of having the stove in the open where all parts are accessible. The thing that I like most about a stove is that no electricity is required,and can be used for cooking in real emergency. But I have three young kids. I would have to build a gate system. Any way, any thoughts.

You have thought it out pretty well. About the only thing I can think of adding to it is that the fan blowing on an insert also makes some noise. Go with the traditional stove unless space is a premium. Kids grow up real quick, so your gating off concern will soon be no more.

Thank you. I just want to keep things simple. We really want to ready ourselves in case of some real emergency. The weather and so forth seems to be going through a cycle.

Check out the Fireplace Xtroidinair by Travis Industries.. Great unit,remote blower. I heat 3000sqft with the 36" model. Takes up no space in the room.

Last edited:
Woodstove without a doubt is the more effiecient of the two. Look at Jotul's or Morso's, Vermont castings all top quality stoves. No need to go new either. Some great deals can be found on older used ones although lately people are hanging on to them. Not sure where you located but in the Northeast we have a weekly called Uncle Henry's that covers our area. There's 3 pages of all kinds of stoves listed just last week.:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Check out woodheat.org. I believe that the most bang for wood burnt is a EPA rated freestanding wood stove located in a central part of the floor of the house you spend the majority of your time. Ive proved that myself having a wood furnace in my home 1600 sq ft versus a good radiant stove in my shop and office of equal sq ft. 2 cords versus 7. Ive purchased a jotul oslo for my home. wood furnace is gone. I like cutting wood, but not wasting it

check out ********** too.
soo much to learn
(they led me here,.... this site rocks, still got reading to do though, but lots to learn here.)

Wood stove. My friends dad has a top of the line fireplace insert and I just doesn't put out that much heat, and it munches through the wood.

I have a New England Stove. It is compact, super efficient (due to the catalytic converter) and relatively inexpensive ($600).
It heats my 2500 square foot house no problem all by itself (In Ohio) Plus the glass doors is self cleaning and nice to watch, also lets you know the state of the fire.
I fill is with about 4-5 pieces of wood and it will burn all day or night (8 hours)

I do like the Jotul Oslo 500. Is there anymore maint. to a cast stove. I dont want to have to tear it apart every few years to re cement it. I also like the Quadrafire 4300 step top. I am also confused about clearances to combustibles. The Quadrafire stated that to the back I need 6" clearnace to combustibles. That means I can be within 6" of my drywall with no extra heat shields? That is using a double wall pipe, which I think is a good idea anyway.

it depends, but i dont knwo that stove well. read all i could on **********
they are serious, hardcore burners there, plenty that have both those stoves.
i love my cast iron Vermont Castings INtrepid II, catalytic stove .this is my first year. great stove, but everything at VC has doubled in cost in the past 90 days. and they are having $$ problems now, so i would not recommend them. (sadly)
If your looking for quality/ efficent/ and cost saving, the Englander stoves that H.Depot sells are actually very good reliable stoves under 700.00....(on sale now ~4-500.) One of the main techs is on ********** all day long.... cant get better service then that.
double wall pipe is great, when the situation calls for it.

Every stove, has yearly upkeep and maintanence.

gotta work for that cheap heat man!!

edit:

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4703/

Last edited:
liberty, how long of a burn/blower-time do you get out of your 36 elite? i have one, cannot get more than 4 hours of blower time even filled with oak/locust. i love the fireplace, it really throws out a lot of heat. just need to figure out what is up with mine. replacing some worn window gaskets, but even last year when it was new, i had this issue

Or, you can build your own.

First picture shows original vents at top.
IMAGE_00017.jpg

P6190009-1.jpg

P6190010-1.jpg

P6190003-1.jpg

P6190007.jpg

P6190001.jpg

liberty, how long of a burn/blower-time do you get out of your 36 elite? i have one, cannot get more than 4 hours of blower time even filled with oak/locust. i love the fireplace, it really throws out a lot of heat. just need to figure out what is up with mine. replacing some worn window gaskets, but even last year when it was new, i had this issue

beautiful stove man, but you should be getting at least 6-8 maybe even 10hrs in a 3.5 cuft box....it is a catalytic stove... i think.... you are using the combustor right? maybe an overdraft/bad seal? did you do the dollar bill test on the doors?

Stoves are great, but check out the Fireplace Xtrordinair website to see what they have to offer.
I decided to install the 36" fireplace Xtrordinair.
It is the best solution for me.
It easily heats my 1900 sq ft house and takes up no floor space.
When installed to use outside air, the FPX claims to positively preasurize the house eliminating chilly drafts from leaks in the house envelope.
I had an interesting experience last week.
I was in a remote location of the house sitting comfortably for quite some time, when I suddenly noticed a draft.
I checked the fire and found that it was out of wood.
I added wood, the firebox got hot, the fan kicked on, and when I returned to the place that I had been sitting the draft was gone.

njtuna,
I can usually 8 hrs burn/blower time.

Packed with red oak on a full bed of coals I will get 8 hrs dampered down. After, I just add wood and it fires right up. I also set the blower to half speed at night. I also modified the air intake at the blower to blend indoor and outdoor air. At night i just use inside air when it is below 40F outside.

Free standing wood stoves give off a considerable amount of radiant heat, without the need for an electric blower. My stove heats my home all winter even when the power goes out on those nasty nights:clap: . That's also one of the reasons I did'nt buy a pellet stove.

Woodstove without a doubt is the more effiecient of the two. Look at Jotul's or Morso's, Vermont castings all top quality stoves. No need to go new either. Some great deals can be found on older used ones although lately people are hanging on to them. Not sure where you located but in the Northeast we have a weekly called Uncle Henry's that covers our area. There's 3 pages of all kinds of stoves listed just last week.:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

+1, although I'd add that since VC was bought by that Canadian company, their customer service is kinda crappy and parts are harder to find.

Well I think that I am strongly leaning towards a free standing stove. I just need to narrow down a model. I would like a stove with tight clearances to cumbustables. What do people think of the Quadrafires. Or should I go with a cast stove like the Jotul.

thanks for replies regarding my fireplacex. i will try the dollar bill test on the doors. encouraging to hear people getting 8 hour blower time out of theirs. gives me hope!

Latest posts

Back